More trouble with Backup Locations

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Hoffi, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoffi

Hoffi Registered Member

A few days ago some of my defined limits for the backup location is reached, so Acronis tries to delete some files. As it proceeds, the nightly backup then stops with an error message stating "file not found", see attached log. Besides that I cannot mount TIBs within backup locations and I cannot explore them up until now I find this feature more and more bewildering.... More absurd, the scheduled backup stops requiring user intervention, and for each errormessage a seperate email is generated... But, WHAT file is missing stays unclear....
    Should I return to the old method, deleting backups by hand before my disks becomes full?

Attached Files:

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Just in case the info might be helpful, what kinds of limits are you setting? File number, size, age, or some combination of those?

3. Hoffi

Hoffi Registered Member

Right now, I changed down the limits to the following values, see attached image.

Before they where a little higher, but I don't think this was relevant ;-)

Meanwhile the only chance I had was to delete the whole backup and starting all over again with a new backup...

Attached Files:

4. Hoffi

Hoffi Registered Member

Extension:

I receive emails for each intervention message because I choose this configuration option, so my sentence regarding this detail in the original post is no longer relevant....

---

But, what IS relevant is the fact that SCHEDULED BACKUPS SHOULD RUN TRULY INDEPENDENT FROM ANY USER INTERVENTION/INTERACTION, IMHO. If they cannot proceed because of a fatal error as in my case, the backup must abandon so that the computer can continue to shutdown or what else processing should follow.

5. shieber

Is there sufficient space for the backups plus one? The next backup is created before ATI looks to see if it needs to delete any file to observe the livmits. So there has to be room for that one additional backup.

6. shieber

Also for testing, try setting a single limit, like say just file count and make a task for some small backup of a few files and runthe task manually and see if things work out. Then add in other limits and test those. This process will sometimes reveal a fault in the set.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Hoffi,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that as stated in chapter 12.2 "Mounting an image" of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User's Guide, the mount operation does not support backup locations, so they are not displayed in the tree.

If you wish to mount the disk/partition image, which is stored in the backup location as a virtual drive you should browse to the folder that contains the image archive or open the folder with image archive via Windows Explorer, right-click on the disk/partition image archive and click "Mount".

Please also clarify why it is not possible to explore the image archive from backup location. Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step. Have you received any error messages? What exact error messages? When exactly have you received them?

As for the issue with backup location limits, first of all, please make sure you use the latest build (4942) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Create a new backup location using the latest build.

If the issue appears with the latest build, please collect the log file from Acronis True Image 10.0 Home that contains the last backup operation results to the backup location (the one when limits did not accomplish).

Also clarify if you delete any of the backup archives from the backup location manually between scheduled tasks.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Please also note that the errors during scheduled task affect only Acronis True Image functionality, i.e. the next scheduled task will not run until user intervention. They do not prevent operations of other applications.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

8. Hoffi

Hoffi Registered Member

Sorry, I don't have the time to try each and every possible combination of configuration options just to test which one would work and which one not. This should alreay have been done by the quality assurance of Acronis... The fact is, whatever I've tried so far, if a limit was triggered, Acronis tries to delete a file named like "a x?(\$!" which never existed and stops working with an error message (possibly an erranous error message, I guess). Sorry, I can't give you the exact name of this file because the eventlog only states "Angegebene Datei existiert nicht". The conclusion for me is: The new backup location feature simply is unusable! And that's not the only thing getting on my nervs:
    1) On my w2k-TestPC, installing an update is as simple as executing the new installer. On a XPSP2-system, the msi doesn't recognize the installed version, and regardless of choosing "repair" or "install" or whatever, nothing really happens; the files on disk and the version number stay the same. Even after completely(!) uninstalling the old version (which involves many manually steps and several reboots...), after then again installing the new version, the version number remains the old one... So I never see which version I really have....
    2) On my w2k Test-PC, I have scheduled the backup to run when I shut down the PC. In principle this works (if not using backup locations, see above...), but the email notification usually doesn't.
    3) Installing TI10 on my XPSP2, even if I first uninstall the previous installed old version, the installer asks me for the new AND the old serial number.

9. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi Hoffi,

The advice that you have received from "shieber" is good advice, I strongly suggest that you follow that advice.

Testing is a fundamental task of almost any computer operation. When it comes to something as important as Backups and Recovery, testing is not only necessary it is absolutely essential.

You need to set aside time for Testing. Don't test large amounts of data. Simply select 50 files (about 100MB) and test with that. Testing enables you to become familiar with and understand the software. It also will reveal any peculiar behaviour that may be specific to your environment or to your particular requirements.

In the long term Testing saves much more time than it uses because it enables you to gain knowledge and with knowledge, confidence and also will help you determine which specific procedure is best suited to your requirements.

T.

10. shieber

Yes, use small files and a small limit and testing should only take a few minutes.

No matter how much testing a software makers QA team has done, nor how much beta and gamma testing has been done, when it comes to backups and security, you want to "real world" test on your own set up to ensure adequate reliability. It's not too hard with something relatively simple like backup software.

good luck,

11. Hoffi

Hoffi Registered Member

Yes, what you are saying is for itself absolutely correct. Nevertheless: In the past I have made very good experiences with various TI versions (I think I've used 5, 6, 7, 8 or so) and I never had any problems. This software "safed my life" a few times... But beginning with version 9, various little (or big) obscurities arised... and because backups are so important, I'm getting a little nervous... Perhaps some of my installation problems (you haven't commentet yet) may be due to the usage of MSI technology. And in the past, it was easier to quickly download a new version, because the setups where significally smaller... P.S.: For my testing, I always use the newest version.... If I will find the time, I will do the testing you suggested. Meanwhile I switched back to the common backup method...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.