More questions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ronl, May 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronl

Ronl Registered Member

Bear with me as this is all new to me.

I have a 120 GB western digital ide hd hooked up in a A7N8X Deluxe MB.

I have never used TI 9.0 before, but after reading this forum it was advised to start with a new hd to back up to. I purchased a Seagate 160GB internal ultra ata hd for $59 at office max with free shipping. After pulling my users manual out on the MB, I realized that the new hd does not hook up the same as the ide hd, I do have a sec_sata1, and pri_sata1 slot on my MB.

Can I hook up just the one hd in the pri_sata1 slot, or do I have to have 2 drives hooked up and use what they call raid?

Can I transfer the data from my ide hd to the ata hd on this MB, and how would I do it?

Thanks for any help,

Ron

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

As far as I know, an ultra ATA is not SATA, it is IDE. Are the connectors on the back of the Seagate not the same as the ones on your Western Digital?

3. Ronl

Ronl Registered Member

I just ordered it this morning so I'm not sure. The office max site doesn't give much information on it.

I was reading reviews on newegg and they were mentioning raid setups, but maybe those are a different model.

I will call office max and find out what the manufacturer model number is.

Ron

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

You didn’t say what type of drive your new one is, but I can tell you that I have 2 IDE drives and 1 SATA drive in my system. I use no RAID and everything works fine.

5. TheWeaz

From what I can tell, your MB supports both IDE and SATA drives. If the new drive is SATA, you may need to turn on the support in the BIOS. Like I said, I have both types in my system but I do not use any type of RAID.

6. Ronl

Ronl Registered Member

I just checked with office max tech support and it is an ide drive.

What would be the best and safest method to transfer all of my data to the new drive?

Would I just format the new drive without putting the OS on it?

Thanks for the help,

Ron

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You can install it and make sure the option in your BIOS to use IDE drives is enabled if necessary. Read your motherboard manual's BIOS section to see how to do this.

You can then boot up your PC and it (the BIOS) should recognize your new HD. You can go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Disk Management and you will be able to partition the disk and format it. You can partition it as one big drive or you can divide it into smaller logical drives.

You don't seem to be very familiar with this stuff so I suggest you read up a bit on partitioning and formatting before you embark on this task. Be very careful that you are doing the operations on the correct drive. There is lots of info on the net and you might find the XP Help and Support section a good place to start, IIRC.

8. Ronl

Ronl Registered Member

I should have done more homework on the hard drive before ordering.

I talked to Seagate and they stated that the Sata drive is much advanced over the Ide, and would be a better buy. He stated that my computer should be able to recognize both drives at the same time and I would be able to operate both drives off my system, although the transfer rate would be 150mb with the Sata1 slot.

I canceled my order with Office Max as that was a 7200.7 model which he stated was not as advanced as the newer models.

Could somebody clarify that I would be able to run the Ide and Sata drives in my computer at the same time and be able to transfer the data from the Ide to the Sata drive? If I can I will purchase a Sata drive.

Ron

9. TheWeaz

"Could somebody clarify that I would be able to run the Ide and Sata drives in my computer at the same time and be able to transfer the data from the Ide to the Sata drive?"

Didn't I just do that? o_O

10. Ronl

Ronl Registered Member

Thanks, my oversight.

Ron

11. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Well of course they would say the SATA is better than the IDE ... it makes more money for them!! The IDE one would have been fine ... you're not going to notice the difference.

Here's how I would transfer your stuff.

Make the bootable TI Rescue CD. It will have all the backup/clone functions you need.

Connect the new drive inside your computer.

Boot with your TI cd. (Your bios has to have the CD as first priority).

When it boots up, select the "ADD new drive" or whatever it is called now, to prepare the new drive - it will format and partition it.

Once it is done with that, go back to the CD's main menu and select Clone.

Make sure you select the option NOT to remove data from the Source drive.

Make sure you select the correct Source and Destination drives.

Start the Cloning process.

After it is done, shutdown the computer and disconnect or remove the original, and remove the cd. Then boot with the new drive.

You should not have to connect the new drive where the original was (you could not if it was SATA anyway). Most motherboards now will boot from whichever bootable hard drive it finds.

Good Luck.

12. Ronl

Ronl Registered Member

Thanks Chutsman, one more question.

My Ide HD is jumpered as cable select and is designated as the primary. Should I also jumper the new Sata drive as cable select?

Ron

13. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

SATA drives do not use things like master, slave or cable-select jumpers. The drive is addressed by whichever SATA connector it is plugged into on the MB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.