More PG questions…

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Matt_Smi, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I want to buy PG real soon, but have some more questions on my mind.

- Is there a chance that PG could cause problems when my computer is booting or worse yet cause it not to boot? I know that you should reboot your computer with PG in learning mode several times, but is there a chance it may not “learn” a certain aspect? Another thing I am concerned about is I change my windows logon screen frequently, each time I do this will it be necessary to put PG into learning mode and reboot so it does not cause any problems with logon? Or does PG not get loaded earlier enough to have to worry about this?

- On a similar note it is recommended to either disable or put PG in learning mode when installing a new program, then it is also recommended to reboot in learning mode. Well is this learning mode reboot necessary if the new program does not add anything that runs at startup and it is just something simple like a web browser for example?

- Is it recommended that I disable NOD32s AMON for PG’s install?

- This is just a curiosity question, but how many items does PG run at windows startup? I am assuming two.

- Finally with some effort is it possible to make PG almost silent? The last thing I want are pop ups nagging me all the time when I am trying to get things done on my computer.

Sorry about the rather large handful of questions, I think thats it for now, but I am sure there will be many more once I have it installed :D

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  2. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

- Is there a chance that PG could cause problems when my computer is booting or worse yet cause it not to boot? I know that you should reboot your computer with PG in learning mode several times, but is there a chance it may not “learn” a certain aspect? Another thing I am concerned about is I change my windows logon screen frequently, each time I do this will it be necessary to put PG into learning mode and reboot so it does not cause any problems with logon? Or does PG not get loaded earlier enough to have to worry about this?

There may be a slight chance as with any software you install,but i would'nt worry too much. With the logon screens,if manually add each one to the allow list it should be fine.

- On a similar note it is recommended to either disable or put PG in learning mode when installing a new program, then it is also recommended to reboot in learning mode. Well is this learning mode reboot necessary if the new program does not add anything that runs at startup and it is just something simple like a web browser for example?

I always disable mine as it's a pain clicking yes every 2 secs.

- Is it recommended that I disable NOD32s AMON for PG’s install?

Yes just incase

- This is just a curiosity question, but how many items does PG run at windows startup? I am assuming two.

Three - dcsuserprot.exe,pgaccount.exe and procguard.exe

- Finally with some effort is it possible to make PG almost silent? The last thing I want are pop ups nagging me all the time when I am trying to get things done on my computer.

Once you've got it all setup it is very silent,but till then it can be a pain but the protection is well worth the hasle!!!

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

If you keep ProcessGuard in learning mode for the first three reboots you should be OK. Ist reboot when installing, then enable the fiour General taps,run your main applications and security programs
    Second reboot, re-run your programmes and then reboot for the third time, learning mode will be switched off and all youe programs should have the correct allows. New or changed programs will give alerts.

If the new program is just a normal program such as a picture viewer or utility learning mode should not be neceassary but you will get alerts from the installer, I usually give installers a permit once and remove them from the security list.
    If, however, the new program runs at driver or service level such as a firewall AV or something like Photoshop CS then I would invoke learning mode and reboot as required by the installer.
    Most windows patches do not need learning mode but for major patches then again I would enable learning mode.

It is always a good thing to disable resident programs when installing programs that run driver or services to ensure their correct uninterrupted installation.

ProcessGuards runs it's driver at start up and it's GUI if you logon to the account you installed it in.
    In addition a sub program called pgaccount.exe runs in each seperate user account on the computer, this enables PG to be active during fast user switching, though other accounts will not be able to see PG's GUI they will still see any alerts.

Yes, once trained PG is very unintrusive unless you do a lot of program swapping.

I hope these answers are adequate, please take some time to read through the threads here and ProcessGuard's help file.

Enjoy this very powerful program: Pilli

4. Matt_Smi

Thanks for the answers Tony and Pilli. Does anyone know how early in the boot process the PG’s driver is loaded? Or is it loaded just the same as other processes that run at windows startup, like an AV for example? My main concern with the booting; was if PG does not learn to allow something that needs to be accepted early in my computers boot cycle, which could in turn really mess things up. But I have not heard any reports of this and I am not even sure if PG monitors items early in the boot processes. Another thing I forgot to ask is how clean does PG un-install? Since it is so deeply integrated with your system I could see it no un-installing so well. But that may not be the case…Thanks again.

5. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi Matt,

PG's driver is as early as it can load, it loads just after the DEVICE drivers (hardware) and the Services Loader. Antivirus drivers are loaded around the same time, as are all other drivers of course.

The ONLY real way we found that Windows couldn't boot, is if you deliberately disable some of the ALLOW access for things like WINLOGON, SMSS, CSRSS, SERVICES. In all other cases it should be fine. In the event of a major change in Windows or somehow you couldn't boot, the emergency procedure is : delete PROCGUARD.SYS from Safe Mode. Thats all, all protection is now removed and PG can't possibly cause any issues.

As for the uninstall, you need to disable protection and close PG, but after that everything will be removed, except for log files, and PG settings. These could be removed manually later, but they have absolutely no effect on the machine being left there.

6. Matt_Smi

Thanks Gavin, looks like I don’t have to worry about PG causing boot problems and there is always safe mode as a failsafe. And good to know that it un-installs nicely.

7. xmen

xmen Guest

What does HKLM\software\diamond computer systems\processguard value beingrun and reboot do?

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

It is the reboot key, when PG is in learning mode it counts to three and then LM is switched I believe.

HTH Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.