More memory??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DonMartin, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonMartin

DonMartin Registered Member

Why should you buy more memory?
    Most experts says that everything runs much faster.
    I have a HP Pavilon that had 2 GB and I bought another 4 GB installed it (using windows 7 64 bits).
    Yes it worked but, for some reason the sound got distorted. It seems that it get distorted by using memory slots 3 and 4.
    Now I am using 4 GB in slot 1 and 2 and it runs ok.
    But why is it better with more memory, now I am using 39% of the memory and when I had only 2GB I was using less than 80%, so what is the difference?
    /Don

2. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

More memory the better when multiple applications are running especially for memory intense programs.Also keep in mind the minimum requirement for the OS alone.Ram can get gobbled up pretty quick,so the more ram will help programs run smoother and more responsive.Its always better to have more then you need then not enough.If you are only using 39 percent now, just think how much more application you can open and run before it reaches 80 percent.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  3. Aventador

Aventador Registered Member

Are you sure your mobo can handle it? Did you reconfigure Windows memory management? So now you have 6GB?

4. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Depends on your situation. Are you using what you have right now? In my case, I wasn't even using half of the 1 GB of RAM I had. So when I added another gig to put me up to 2 GB (which I did just a week ago), I can honestly say I notice no difference whatsoever. It did me no good. But, it was free.

5. Dark Shadow

I never notice upgrading ram to make a difference as far as boot ups,web surfing etc.Running things such a photo shop or playing games and so fourth is where ram can make a difference.If your upgrading ram expecting your system processor to gain a whole bunch of speed it's not going to happen. OverClock it until it smokes.:D

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  6. Aventador

More Ram = More Multitasking
    More Ram Does Not = Faster Internet,Boot up, Gaming

Basically the more ram you have the more programs you have open at once. I have never added more ram into a customers pc and then have the same "Wow its a rocket ship". Now if you were going from 512MB to 2GB that's a difference. Also there is the bottle necking factor to look at. You may have more ram then your processor knows what to do with. What is your processor specs?

7. Dark Shadow

Exactly.

8. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

RAM is used for a few things.

1) Holding running programs. They store variables and other information in RAM.

2) Cache. RAM is really fast, way faster than your typical hard drive. Storing a commonly used file in RAM means accessing it is nearly instant and you can read large files in very little time.

So you'll continue to benefit from RAM increases as long as you can still cache files and as long as you run lots of programs.

You stop benefiting when you don't run a lot of programs and when all of your commonly used files are already cached.

For some people that means 2GB, for some that means 4GB, and for a few that means 8 or more GB.

9. guest

guest Guest

I have 4 GB of Ram
    but the most I have ever seen my system use was 600MB
    seems a waste to me also but then again I don't open 30 programs
    at one time either, I would lose all track of where I am at if I tried thato_O o_O o_O

10. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

If you buy more RAM, then, use 64-bit Windows to be able to utilize it. ;)

32-bit Windows utilize less than 3 GB of RAM
    even if you have installed more than 3 GB of RAM! :mad:

11. Aventador

If you didnt need all that power then why buy it? :rolleyes: 4GB of ram is standard now a days when purchasing a new pc cause 90% of people multitask.

12. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

More RAM is always good.:)

13. encus

encus Registered Member

I suggest to reformat your computer after adding more RAM. You'll see the difference. It came from my personal experience :)

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

This is key. While there may be a physical space for it, each machine has its own limit. Always determine what that is before purchasing and installing new memory.
    Also, memory should always be installed in pairs.

15. Aventador

Lol. Thanks I neded that laugh. So I guess the next time I swap GPU's I will also reformat my pc. :rolleyes:

16. encus

encus Registered Member

I didn't say GPU! :rolleyes:

17. Aventador

Hardware is hardware. No reformat needed.

18. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Yep. This is a fact many are oblivious to... getting the benefits of dual channel, which every box should around now should be capable of.

even this ancient Dell Dimension 3000 I have is capable of it. Barely, I think I just made the cut off. I think the 2400 series can't use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.