More info about MBAM?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by owen35ny, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. owen35ny

owen35ny Registered Member

I just paid for it and wanted to know from those who know...
    Is it like spybot with a black list ir is it a behavioral blocker or is like an AV with a black*puppy* list?

Vista UAC Limited user account
    NAT router
    Comodo
    Avira PE
    MBAM
    Mamatu
    Sandboxie
    DEP - All programs

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  2. Someone

Someone Registered Member

It is an antispyware similar to Spybot, not a behavioural blocker. It focuses on detecting real-world malware which many AVs miss, so it's designed a complement to an AV.

3. Max Zorin

Max Zorin Former Poster

Its like spybot and all other AMs, but not as good. Ask if you can have a refund!

MZ

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

max u seem to be quite narrow minded and only thinking that A2 is the only capable AM out there looking at your other posts. im sure EVERYONE can agree MBAM is a amazing app and does its job very well. and id hardly compare it to spybot, they both are in the same class of software, but MBAM is much better IMO.

looking at tests that test for mainly viruses but put an antispyware app in isnt a good judge of detection. and seeing how the OP has an AV, MBAM should accompany it wonderfully.

5. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

owen35ny, That is quite a setup you got there. Are you going to war? :D

You could shed some of the programs and still be well protected. Are you running all of them with real-time protection enabled? IMO, spend a little time understanding what each aspect of your setup does and then go with the ones you are comfortable with and fit the way you use your computer. Sorry for getting off topic.

It's also good to keep all your programs up to date and Secunia Software Inspector can help with that. And by the way, MBAM is pretty good and can be compared to SuperAntiSpyware.

Happy New Year!
    innerpeace

6. rOadToIS

rOadToIS Registered Member

LOL
    Yeah, right :rolleyes:.

7. owen35ny

Ha, not going to war, but I am a bit OCD about security. I admin a chat room and make plenty of enemies with hackers and etc. Thanks for Seconia, that is an excellent idea, I got a 100% score on it by the way.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

o_O This is a question best asked BEFORE purchase. However Someone provided a good answer.

9. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Your welcome and good score :). Your running many of the highly recommended apps here at Wilders and as long as they don't conflict, it looks like a tight setup :thumb:

There is also about one or two days left on a Returnil Premium giveaway if your interested. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=228677 It can virtualize your system partition on demand and after a reboot, all changes good or bad are gone. There are also a few of us that use it alongside Sandboxie. I think there is a problem with it and Vista hibernation at this time, but they are working on that problem in a beta version.

Cheers

10. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

I dislike MBAM; it doesn't work in restricted user accounts; it scans; however it can't detect anything, not even EICAR.com uncompressed ... and it can't update on an restricted account.

That is a severe disadvantage; the main purpose of having it was to selectively scan suspicious files ... and I rather not use an "all-out" admin or power user account ... makes it easy for malware to hijack my system.

11. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Eicar is just a test file without any payload, and the fact that the MBAM developers chose not to 'detect' it really doesn't mean a thing; after all it isn't even malware...

They sensibly prefer to concentrate on currently "in the wild" malware some AVs do a less than thorough job on, and as such it's IMHO an excellent complement to any AV.

Just my 2 cts....

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  12. owen35ny

I don't know about detection but it is updating alright on Vista SP1 with UAC on and on a limited account. :thumb:

13. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

That's because you are not really running in a restricted user account. You are still running in a admin account but the difference is that your applications runs in a secure mode using standard user privileges. When one of your applications attempts to perform some action that requires administrator privileges (e.g. MBAM update), UAC will prompt you and ask for your permission. Therefore TechOutsider is right when he claims that MBAM doesn't update in a limited user account.

/C.

14. owen35ny

Oh, should I make it truly "restricted" and how?

15. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

16. owen35ny

Thank you Sir.

17. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

18. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

It's exactly as advertised, an anti-malware software utility. It's very good, and getting better. Stellar at removal. I personally would have spent the money on SAS Pro, but that's a moot point. Here's a review by someone that swears by it: http://remove-malware.com/anti-malware-reviews/malwarebytes-pro-removal-and-detection-review/

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

MBAM is by no stretch a fluke and i would not be put off by resident protection silence at all, it can pull out the most grievious of rough crud if lodged on your good machine. Sas is as formidable and maybe somewhat more depending on which identity gets db'd first and how much difficulty it might be, but both of these together make up a pretty good tandem pair should your system structure get penetrated by these latest & cruel infections floating the net.

That's my opinion of them anyway. MBAM couldn't have entered the scene at a better time because SAS is been carrying the AS load alone for quite awhile AFAIK!

EASTER

20. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Any chance of updating your collection of autostart locations Tony?

I would appreciate it very much

Alvast bedankt

Kees

21. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Hi Kees,

Anything in particular you were thinking of?

22. owen35ny

I contacted them and complained and they gave me a refund, I'll get SAS!:ninja:

23. illicit

illicit Registered Member

Responsibility and accountability. Gotta love that in any company. :thumb:

24. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Being curious on MBAM, I just ran the free version for the first time and did a full scan of my system. I found it very time consuming scanning the whole disk (1h 46m very slow, zero detection) compared to any other security product. It seemed a good AM tool however, I suggest them to work on improving the speed of the scan ;)

25. Someone

Someone Registered Member

The developers recommend running the quick scan, which (according to them) detect 99% of what the full scan detects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.