More fun with Acronis

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Qubit, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qubit

Qubit Registered Member

The other day I started a restore of an image using v9 Home (3677). A couple of minutes into the restore I realized that I had selected the wrong image. Since it takes 45 min to restore the image I decided to Cancel the restore and select the correct image. BIG MISTAKE! My drive was no longer available! Had to have IT reformat the drive and restore the original image.

Since I'm not yet ready to give up on Acronis I decided to upgrade to v10 Home (after having only bought v9 ~6 months ago :mad: ). When I went to install v10 I ran into the same problem I always run into every time I upgrade Acronis... the BSOD! The BSOD is caused by an incompatibility with a driver called FILTER.SYS and the Acronis installer.

The workaround I've been using is:
    - Rename FILTER.SYS to FILTER.SYS.SAVE
    - Reboot Windows
    - Install Acronis update
    - Rename FILTER.SYS.SAVE to FILTER.SYS
    - Reboot Windows

The Acronis installer is the only program that has a problem with this driver. I've been trying to find an updated FILTER.SYS file (mine is 11/25/2004) to see if that will fix the problem but I haven't found one yet.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Make the bootable TI Rescue CD and use it for all your Imaging, Recovery, and Cloning.

3. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Just curious:

What's the FILTER.SYS driver needed for? I haven't got it in my installation.

4. Qubit

Qubit Registered Member

That is exactly what I was using.

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Well, when you restore a partition, as soon as you start, you begin overwriting it. At that point yu can expect that what was there will no longer be available.

It's a bit diff when you copy a file -- only at the end of the operation is the new copy given official status and the old one marked out. But that's not practical when restoring a hard drive -- to do that you'd need a third drive to store a temporary copy and then move that to the real target drive, at which point you'd still be overwriting the existing partion(s).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.