more errors with WormGuard installed

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by mr.mark, May 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr.mark

mr.mark Guest

i just started with an evaluation copy of WG on my win2000 machine. in addition to the minor Norton Systemworks conflicts noted on another thread , i'm starting to encounter more small problems as i use the program more.

when i access the Norton Protected Recycle Bin Properties page and try to enable/disable drive settings protection (something i do everyday when i erase history and tifs), i get a dialog saying:

"NPROTECT.EXE is not a valid Win32 application"...

and i can no longer enable protection. this message has *never* popped up previously, and i've never been prevented from enabling Norton protection.

since this just started happening after installing WormGuard, i tried turning off WG protection via the "remove" button, to see if that made a difference. it didn't. i still could not enable protection in the Norton Recycle Bin.... plus when i shut down WG (via "remove" button), i got another error message:

"Advanced INF Install... INF Install failure. Reason: Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion."

i haven't seen these issues addressed on the board. maybe i missed them, sorry.

so i'm beginning to see more conflicts, primarily between WormGuard and Symantec. any suggestions or guidance on these matters?

regards

:)

mark

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Mr.Mark, i don't see why these new messages would be related to WormGuard?
    If you uninstall WG completely, is everything back to ok then?
    Might bWG wants to be installed first and after the other programs, in which case i would first of all install PE, then WG, then a firewall, then the Norton tools.
    Do you have any form of registry protection, RegProt or any blocker like HTAstop and the kind of tools?
    If installing WG, i would most certainly first of all disable or uninstall such tools and after WG install you can decide which you put back. I'm sure you did disable every av/at --maybe even rebooted to be really sure they were not there and every dll and system file not in use when installing WG.

There were som advices about the norton lifeUpdate reinstall after installing WG, so there can be something for your tools too.
    Think there will come good answers from others in this field.
    Anyway, we do also know lot will be solved with the coming version WG4 soon.

3. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

Hi mr.mark & Jooske,

as we already found out, there are some problems concerning Symantec and Wormguard 3. The problems we had so far were concerning NAV 2003 Live Update and Norton Utilities. The developers already know about these issues -other problems for example are the Help & Support Button and DriveCrypt. It's definitely a problem with Wormguard 3 -if you want that the Symantec products are running again smoothly, you have to uninstall it completely (uninstall the protection of Wormguard as well), do a registry scan for forgotten keys (damn uninstall program doesn't delete everything...) and reinstall it. Then it should work properly again. ;)

Best regards,

Patrice

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Patrice, do you mean uninstall and reinstall the norton stuff or the WG?

I've seen other workarounds with reinstalling LiveUpdate only for instance and such little things and working ok with WG.
    Does this only effect the NT/2k/XP systems?

With WG4 all will be much smoother, using alln DCS created dll's and systemfiles.

5. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

Hi Jooske,

uninstall and reinstall the Norton Stuff. You just need to uninstall the Wormguard protection. Unfortunately the other workarounds don't work that well... :( That's why I was suggesting uninstalling and reinstalling the Norton Stuff. I'm using Windows XP Pro, don't know about the other OS (but if XP has the problem, 2k will have it as well). ;)

Greetings,

Patrice

6. mr.mark

mr.mark Guest

hi Jooske and Patrice

thank you both for your replies.

there is no doubt in my mind that these errors were related directly to the install of WormGuard. and even turning WG off and uninstalling it (plus running RegCleaner) did not "fix" the broken Symantec stuff.

i have no desire at all to go through uninstall/reinstall processes with NSW in order to get WormGuard to work... maybe.

fortunately, i am a regular user of DriveImage, and i created a pristine image prior to installing WG. i restored that image this morning and everything has returned to its previous error-free state.

perhaps when WG4 comes out i will test drive it again. but for now, the conflicts with Symantec are more than i care to contend with.

best regards

:)

mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.