More dumb questions!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rogervernon, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

I have Acronis home installed and have made backups of both "My Computer" & My Documents" These are stored on an USB driven external 80 MB portable hard drive.
    Despite reading the .pdf instructions document, I still am not sure exactly how to carry out a restore.

If I have to/want to format my HD how do I go about restoring the "My Computer" backup, which should include the Windows XP operating system?
    Surely Acronis must be installed as a program on the PC's HD before being able to restore the backup. This means that the Windows XP O.S. must be re-installed first does it?

My PC's H.D. is only 40 GB, so I think the "Snap restore" feature, whereby a new partition needs to be created on it to store the Acronis snap restore informtion, is not viable.
    Is this a fair summary, or is there a really simple way to reformat my PC's HD and restore the whole lot of saved data,without first re-installing XP?

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Roger,

Not sure which pdf file you are referring to but, in case you haven't done so, check out the links to GroverH's Beginner's Guides pdf's in Post #1 of his thread titled Need Help? These Beginner's Guides May Fill That Need!.

Another useful resource is this downloadable fully illustrated pdf tutorial.

Whilst the above documents are specific to TI 9, the info contained in them can easily be read across to TI 10 and TI 11.

Regards

Menorcaman

3. rogervernon

Aha - back up & restore for dummies - i.e. ME!

Thanks,

Roger

4. cortez

cortez Registered Member

Wow! a darn good pictorial tutorial. I wish there were more dealing with Acronis topics (especially for us who are primarily 'visual only learners') but I guess they are hard to produce. Acronis could make a bundle selling these type of guides (the main aim being that they are fully illustrated).

Perhaps they could hire learned members right here on Wilders to put them together (a thought for them to ponder anyways).

5. rogervernon

I totally agree with you, Cortez, this is a truly helpful guide and my grateful thanks go to Grover Hatcher and Menorcaman for producing it.

I now think I can contemplate a project I have in mind, i.e. a reformat of my hard drive, installation of a proper XP system, (not the recovery disc provided by my laptop maker), followed by the installation of the programs I REALLY need and my personal data: then a back up of all that, as my baseline in case of problems.

There's a lot of accumulated dross on my H.D., I'm sure, and a straight back up of the drive as it is now, will restore the rubbish as well as the stuff which my research has shown is worth keeping.

6. cortez

cortez Registered Member

My thanks to them also.

I am sure that you will get your set up as you plan.

The members that have gone through much time and effort to write help tutorials or point to posts and sites with answers must be dismayed to notice that many new posts are already answered in their writings or in their recommended sites, but are not consulted before requesting help.

It must be very frustrating and demoralizing. I hope they realize that many newer users are intimidated by computer jargon and are quickly confused as the jargon and 'shorthand' assumed by regular users are used with so many different connotations-- Thus the seemingly lack of use of the stickys when in fact they are 'read' but create confusion as there is no base lexicon to consult to decipher the writings.

Perhaps one of the first sticky should be a glossary for technical words as used on this forum.

Allowing for more attachments will also help for better understanding of procedures and reduce confusion.

7. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Not sure of your meaning. Perhaps my "Attachment posting" link in my signature below will help. This is a totally new posting which illustrates how to add/edit and position multiple attachments.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  8. cortez

cortez Registered Member

GroverH:

I meant to say that it would be beneficial to have Wilders increase the number of attachments possible so that a more pictorial post could show a procedure step by step and later this post could be pointed to by any member to do this procedure when ever the same problem crops up (and this probably would take more than the 5 allowed attachments on this forum).

I realize that space on servers is limited but a tutorial could be submitted for approval from the administrators and if the post is of value they could decide to post it.

For example a small tutorial on editing the boot.ini file ( which terrifies many users) could be made less stressful if a reply post 'spoon feeds' the procedure using visuals.

Either way your links are of great help to many and I'm sure they are appreciated.

Thanks again --cortez

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  9. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Thank you cortez for the clarification.

Current "work arounds" are posting in successive links to enable more attachments; plus user can always combine multiple image into a single image before postings--If careful, user can still keep the file size within the established limits.

Anyone wanting to create a training pdf file can submit it to the forum admin/moderators for inspection; correction and possible acceptance with ultimate storage on forum website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.