Monster update from BitDefender

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by StevieO, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I have received a reply from Jotti's Virus Scan service saying that they have contacted BitDefender and will adjust the samples submission policy accordingly.

I think BitDefender will definitely start noticing now, because Jordi Bosveld now knows about this thread, and I'm pretty sure he would refer this thread to BitDefender.

2. Firecat

Just a bit of a heads up: BitDefender has updated the heuristics engine today. I saw that BD now detects some undetected Zlobs as "BehavesLike:Win32.ExplorerHijack". :)

3. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

That's good news about jotti's, and i hope BD get the submit working ASAP !

StevieO

4. Firecat

It seems the quarantine submissions are now fixed. I've sent several heuristically detected files through quarantine, and now all of them except one are detected by BitDefender. :)

5. chia

chia Registered Member

Thanks for keeping us updated FC and for following up on all of this. :thumb: :)

6. rascari

rascari Registered Member

thats weird, i subimit some samples for some days ago maybe more then 5-6 days and they still are not detected. Are you sure that they have fixed this issue with quarantine?

7. Firecat

I have found that files sent through quarantine seem to be added to the database only if they are heuristically detected by BitDefender. As for other files, I have not tried their virus submission email, so I do not know.

8. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

i used bitdefender online scan always in the past. however i dont now due to the false positives with bitdefender software like superantispyware or OSsecurity . these never appear to be corrected by them . The problem with the online scan is that its default setting will delete any file it deems a problem unless you do set it to report. a lot of surfers may not change that setting. I have sent a few reminders about these same false positives over the last 3 to 6 months but instead of them deminishing bitdefender scan only increased with even more false positives. kind of makes you wonder.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  9. Breska

Breska Registered Member

this is very bad
    All people that subimit suspected files thru quarantine and their e-mail: virus_submission then these files are not being added!
    Also all suspected files from virus_total and jotti's are being lost while they sent to virus_submission right:eek: ? Then they "must" fix this issue with Lab virus_submission, so when people subimit thru Quarantine or virus_submission then the suspected files must be added, they got to fix this right?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well i don't see why they should accept just files that were picked by BD as suspicious. I often use Quarantine to organize files and sistematically send them to virus lab. But it appears all files i've sent got lost forever and never been added to database. Really a shame...

11. pykko

pykko Registered Member

they have also problems with sample submission unfortunately. Maybe I'll make them a visit to yell a little bit :D :p

12. Firecat

BitDefender has still not replied to my emails about the virus submission, so I can't comment anything right now.

@RejZoR: I think the BD quarantine was built only for sending suspicious files anyway. :doubt:

Has anyone tried sending samples to their virus submission address now? If anyone does try it, do inform us about your experience! Considering that heuristically detected files are now eventually detected if sent via quarantine, there is some hope that the normal submission will work too.

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Firecat, then why can i add any file into quarantine and send it?
    Those that i've sent were most certanly suspicious (and most certanly malware).
    I mean video icon with exe extension? C'mon, even the biggest rookie can spot that trick :p
    It's far easier to store all files in quarantine and submit them from there.
    However i liked avast! Chest more because you could also periodicaklly scan entire quarantrine to check out already added files /those that get detected after submission).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.