Monitoring win.ini etc

Discussion in 'FileChecker & ID-Blaster Forum' started by polo, Dec 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polo

polo Guest

I monitor the system files in "sysedit" such as system.ini, win.ini by copying them in a folder monthly and using DOS "fc" to compare changes. Is this being too obsessive, any better ways? I've noted that system.dat and user.dat can keep the SAME size but they can change internally. How does one monitor them; "fc" gives non-ascii junk.

Call me nutty but once I noted 3 hidden files had suddenly disappeared and I get depressed over this -- regularly using chkdsk to monitor them. I hadn't un/installed anything recently.

2. polo

polo Guest

Any comments? BTW, I noticed that there's a size change in WIN.INI during end of October --- prob. due to the daylight hours time change? Should one keep incremental backups of WIN.INI, SYSTEM.INI, AUTOEXEC.BAT, CONFIG.SYS, anything else? I'm always monitoring files in windows, windows\system, windows\temp, c:\ --- healthy?

Also a good idea to keep a list of programs in Add/Remove so you can spot anything strange suddenly installed, as well as Ctrl-Alt-Del apps list?

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Total Commander was recommended in another thread for comparing two text files to see what had changed: http://www.ghisler.com/ (shareware)

It isn't "nutty" to want to know what has changed in your system. ;) Those files could have been deleted by the program that created them, or may have simply been temporary files of sorts for Windows.

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.