monitoring .exe,.com...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Crawford00, May 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crawford00

Crawford00 Guest

Hi !

I will like to know if there is any program (free if possible) that can monitor in real time some folders I choose, typically C: and some /Windows and subfolders, for some newly added files I choose, typically .exe, .com... and asking me to accepting it or not... Very simple in fact !
    Must be low on ressources
    I'm on Windows 98

Thanks !

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Crawford00, and welcome.

I am not sure if I know exactly what type of monitoring program you want, but if it is for specific files or folders that you just want 'watched' for any changes, then you might want to look at Javacool's FileChecker.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

I have used this free program on both my Win98se and XP-Home since it came out in 2002, without any problems. :)

I am sure other members will post their comments and recommendations too, so hopefully you will receive a wider range of suggestions that will be helpful to you.

Regards,

snap

3. Crawford00

Crawford00 Guest

Thanks snapdragin.

I'll try to be more specific.
    Sometimes when i'm surfing, multiple popup windows appears and so on....
    Most of the time, i close all instances of my Browser and go check my "vital" folders if there is anything unusual.
    At least 5-6 times recently, there was 1 or 2 files added in those folders, like "m.exe", "mdmhelpv.exe", etc.
    All those files were Trojans...

So I have the idea : Is there a program that could warn me if any type of files I decided (*.exe, *.com...) is added in the folders I don't want to ? And having the choice of erase them immediately, don't let them accessing those folders or anything else.
    In real time of course.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I think my antivirus don't detect those Trojans as long as they do not activate. Why not to be proactive ?
    I don't like when someone, something, somewhere put a executable file in my vital folders without asking me first !

Hope this help...

Sorry for my english :)

Thanks again

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

I understand that you want a program that gives you the choice whether or not to allow a file-change before that change has actually taken place.
    So it must be checking pro-active in real-time.

For Windows 98 you will hardly find such a program.

So use an on-demand file-integrity-checker like for example ADinf32 or NISFileCheck, and a backup imaging program like for example Acronis TrueImage.

FileChecker from Javacool is indeed, like Snap wrote, a nice program !
    But it is near-real-time, meaning it polls every x seconds or minutes; and it warns you after a change took place.

For Windows 2000-XP the situation is better.
    Then you can use for example ProcessGuard from DiamondCS to watch important files.

5. Crawford00

Crawford00 Guest

Thanks for your replies

I'll continue to search and I will find something for sure !
    Any other suggestions are welcome

6. Crawford00

Crawford00 Guest

I think I found some... for Windows98SE
    Any other suggestions are welcome, tiny apps are most welcome !

Log Monitor (free)
    http://www.bitrix.ru/logmon/eng/

MoniDir 2000 (free)
    http://www.contactplus.com

FolderMon 1.2 (PcMag- 2002-no more free)- if someone can provide me or the old free version, it will be very appreciated. Answer me here and i'll give you me email.
    Or a web site where to download it.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Check here too. http://www.sysinternals.com/win9x/98utilities.shtml

8. LGLSSVT

LGLSSVT Guest

9. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.