Monitor can this work?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Rico, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Bill, (hardware guru),

I brought my 24" Samsung monitor to the garage, & hooked it up via, the KVM's VGA cable, the video sucked, previously the monitor used a DVI cable.

Connecting DVI to PC, & connecting KVM's VGA to monitor, the monitor 'default' is DVI, with KVM's vga, plugged into monitor, when I shift, I get keyboard , mouse but no video.

I would like the better resolution/clearer from DVI, & still switch machines via KVM. Samsung monitor 24", or not have to swap cables on the back of the monitor.

The diff for me DVI pretty, VGA ugly on 24"

Thanks Amigo
    Rico

2. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

No HDMI?

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

With HDMI I would still need, VGA plugged in to use the KVM. Monitor does not have hdmi

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

VGA - with a good signal and correct resolution - should still provide a decent image. Not all KVM switches are equal. Neither are all cables.

For a test, if you by-pass the KVM switch and connect directly to the computer using VGA (with a different VGA cable too), is it still ugly? If it looks good, you have a lousy KVM switch or cable. Note too with analog (VGA), cable length can affect the video quality too.

I agree with where Krusty is going. If you can go all digital (HDMI, Display Port, or DVI) that would be the way to go.

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Bill & Krusty,

With VGA, from KVM switch, even sizing was off, icons on left side (desktop) were only partially visible, text looked horrible. On my 15" monitor, using the same KVM switch & cables it looked good. Plugging the DVI cable in, bypass KVM everything looked good. I'm looking into VNC promises to function like a KVM, without wires.

I luv'd tat KVM, up to 4 machine, I had a win10 & XP machine, linked to it, then when someone brings an infected machine, the wires were right there, for quick easy connection. My wish was to have both DVI & VGA plugged into, default for graphics is DVI, then when switch (KVM) to other machine it would use VGA. It worked keyboard mouse, but video did not switch.

6. Bill_Bright

Did you change the resolution when you switched from 24" to 15"?

7. Rico

Rico Registered Member

NO! I did look on the 24" & win10 reports its using 'recommended.'

8. Bill_Bright

When you switch monitor sizes, you often have to switch resolutions.

And is this 24" Samsung a monitor, or a TV acting as a monitor? Model numbers would help.

9. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Samsung, model LS24A300BS/ZA, pretty sure it's just a monitor. I'm having trouble navigating the settings, on the monitor. Note this monitor went from a PC with an evga GTC 285, looked super. To my garage PC with a evga GT635, while things look better with the DVI, appearance is less than desired. Or much worse than the GTX 285.

I did go to NVIDIA installed the latest driver, for win10, 64 bit, not much change. Note the garage machine GTX 635 looke stunning with the 15" monitor, now using DVI cable, & 24" clarity is good, sizing is good, but color brightness or gamma, or something else, gives an un appealing look. The NIVIDIA settings are default. And I'm having trouble navigating & choosing on the monitor directly.

Thanks
    Rico

10. Bill_Bright

It's easy to tell. If the device has a built in tuner and accepts an antenna or cable input, and came with a remote control to change channels, its a TV. But note virtually all TVs these days also accept input from computers and can be used as a computer monitor.

Ambient lighting can greatly affect the appearance. Perhaps try moving the GTX 285 computer to the garage temporarily for test to see how it looks is worth a try.

11. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Okay! I think it's done! DVI connected ONLY, on the monitor, menu > reset was grayed out > unplug monitor 30 sec > plug in > dbl click monitors menu then hold menu. Now reset is back, choose it > yes > enter key on monitor, it goes back to reset. I did not see anything happen when pressing yes. Also installed new 'firmware' Samsung tech. helped a tad. Looks better, not great.

12. Bill_Bright

Well, I really don't have anything to offer to make it look "great". But I am glad it is better.

13. Rico

Rico Registered Member

One vet to another. Thank You

14. Bill_Bright

Then I thank you for your service!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.