module32.exe trojan keylogger

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by colin dooley, Jun 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colin dooley

colin dooley Guest

**Temporary Fix**

The fix is temporary insomuch as this method will stop the module32 executable from executing but does not completely alleviate problem. The reason for this is explained fully in a moment.

1. boot up XP machine in safe mode, find the "tgbcde" folder.
    2. Delete all files in folder (module32.exe, library32.dll, etc.)
    3. Using notepad or other editor and create dummy module32.exe and library32.dll files
    4. Make the folder and files read-only (using the right-click properties menu)
    5. Run msconfig and uncheck module32.exe from startup tab
    6. Run regedit and delete all entries to do with "tgbcde" and "module32.exe"
    and "library32.dll"
    7. Restart machine, use program like security task manager to check module32 executable is not running

As alluded to earlier, this is a temporary fix. If you were to open the tgbcde folder (you can do this by typing in c:\windows\tgbcde in the explorer address bar as the folder may not be visible in explorer) and delete the dummy files you created. Upon re-booting the machine, in my experience, the trojan will re-appear in the directory. So, whilst the dummy files you created exist, the condition that the trojan uses to see if the appropriate files have been created and exist remains true (and because the files you created are harmless, nothing untoward takes place). However, the file that exists and is effectively 're-spawning' the trojan is still on the computer 'somewhere' and still needs to be found. I am hoping that someone will be capable of doing this, somewhere!!

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi colin, I'm not sure why you posted your information about module32.exe in the TDS forum?

It has been moved a more appropriate forum

Cheers. Pilli

3. colin dooley

colin dooley Guest

Sorry Pilli :),

i must've been geting mixed up with another forum or post!!. BTW have you got any more information on the module32.exe trojan (I don't know its proper name)

TIA,

Colin.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Afraid I have no idea Colin but I am sure that Gavin at DiamondCS maybe able to help.
    If you have a copy of the file please zip and send to submit@diamondcs.com.au for analysis. :)

HTH Pilli

5. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

colin,

You might be interested in an old archived thread on the subject over here ;).

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.