Modem/Router problem

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Whynot, Jul 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whynot

Whynot Registered Member

I hope this is the correct forum to post this. Every couple of days I experience what appears to be loss of IP settings - but only for internet access. It's easily resolved by ipconfig/release then /renew or by powering down my modem and allowing it to reset. I've been using this modem/firewall setup for about 18 months without any dramas now this problem has been ongoing for a month or so. Logs show nothing untoward. It's not assocciated with general electrical fluctuations. Anyone any ideas :doubt:

2. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I don't know which router you are using but very occasionally I have this with my Netgear and as you say a power down resolves the issue. I read a review and noted that this was one of the things which can happen. Have you made sure you are running the latest firmware for the router and there is nothing to indicate a block within your software firewall?

It hasn't happened to me for a good while now (hopefully not after this!) but I think some routers can experience this as I have read other posts and the only way to resolve was a power down/up again.

3. Whynot

Whynot Registered Member

Thanks Robyn. I'm using a DLink 604 with 1.81b3 firmware - which is the latest one I can find here from the UK DLink site. Funnily enough I used to have a Netgear FR314 which didn't have this problem. I was just a little bit concerned as to why this was happening now with such frequency. Did it happen to mention in the review the reason(s) for this?

4. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have just managed to find the review again now! I looked for your router but can only find the 504 with no mention of dropouts.

The main points of my Netgear (although I have not experienced this for a while now)
    Perhaps if you are leaving your router connected for long periods this is why it is happening to you o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.