Moblock (with Mobloquer) advice required

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Setcho, Mar 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Setcho

Setcho Registered Member

Currently the only thing stopping me from using Linux as my main desktop is that I quite often use utorrent and also Peerblock at the same time. I was looking for a Peerblock like application and came across Moblock and Mobloquer.

I was just wondering what peoples experiences are with this program, is it easy to use, does it crash often etc? Or if I would be better off (safer/more secure) by just sticking to applying blocklists within a torrent client?

On this second question, I have used transmission where the blocklist is updated automatically but the number of rules always seems to be the same and I have used qbittorrent where only 1 blocklist can be used. I am going to try out deluge today as I have read that a number of blocklists can be applied in a plugin.

2. kavulix

kavulix Registered Member

That was a major concern of mine as well when I first switched to a Linux OS. I eventually stumbled upon iplist and was using that to block large lists of ip addresses but it wasn't without its annoyances. The application itself is developed using java and I'm not a fan of java based applications. It also caused conflicts with other iptables based applications requiring you to restart/re-enable the lists each time you flushed the filter table in iptables. For example, if you also use firestarter to manage iptables then anytime you start firestarter you then have to re-enable the lists in iplist. In the end I suppose all of the annoyances finally won and I stopped using it altogether.

I'm currently in the process of developing a new application that will hopefully provide a simple and convenient interface for managing not only blocklists but also individual ip ranges within each blocklist. It will contain numerous safeguards to try to minimize conflicts with other applications that modify iptables by monitoring the filter table rules and automatically re-enabling the lists if necessary. Most of the features are currently functional but I wouldn't recommend using it at this early stage of development. There are numerous known bugs and unfortunately the Bluetack lists aren't even available to download at the moment due to server maintenance. Another month or so and I should have a beta version ready.

http://gorget.sourceforge.net

3. Setcho

Setcho Registered Member

So I guess no one uses Moblock?

Anyway after a little investigation I found that it is really quite simple to compile your own blocklist by using 2 or more of the lists from I-Blocklist. It might take more time than using Peerblock but its not a big problem.

@Kavulix Thanks for the info on Gorget. I will keep an eye on its progress and try it out when you release the beta.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.