Mobile Phone Tracking

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by JonCK, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonCK

JonCK Registered Member

Came across a site called "Mobile Locators" that can track the location of a mobile phone. Does that mean that anyone can track my mobile with or without my permission?

2. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

I have seen this sort of thing before, to answer your question, to the best of my knowledge, your mobile phone service provider can track your phone, and could make this information available to law enforcemwnt, though this may require a warrant. From the perspective of the service that is being offered, it requires the authorization of the mobile account holder.

FAQ's for that particular service.

3. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

In the U.S., I believe ALL new cell ph.s MUST have ALI (automatic location information) for instances of emergency.
    (Some non-emergency services require it as well i.e.: driving directions, location of nearest bank, etc.)
    On my Motorola ph, I have the options of "Location On" or "911 only".
    If "Location On" is selected, an icon appears on the display.
    If the network or a service requests my location, I have the option to refuse.
    Default ALI setting is "911 only", whereby location info is sent only when dialing 911.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.