Missing XP Restore Command File

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by Donkalee, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donkalee

Donkalee Registered Member

My friend had Wormguard (she's not very technical) and it flagged system restore - she quarantined it. However, after that she uninstalled Wormguard.
    Now she has no restore file (rstrui.exe) - how can we get a "restore exe file"? I tried to copy my version of rstrui.exe (we both have same versions of XP), but that wouldn't work either - sometimes it does absolutely nothing, and once in a great while, if we try to run it from the start-command line, it pops up its dialog box, but empty. I tried to do the sfc /scannow thing, but it says something about the wrong version - I just completedly reformatted her system about a month ago with that CD - it's her original XP home CD.
    Any suggestions? It seems to be running when I check under the computer management box, and it seems to be making the restore points in their appropriate place, but I can't seem to find a way to activate it if we need to do a restore?

PS If someone could email me with this answer, I would greatly appreciate it - ~snipped~ @together.net or IM me at ~snipped~ @hotmail.com. Thanks so much.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2004
  2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Donkalee, This may sound a strange idea but applying XP SP2 to the PC may cure the problem as WG works much better with XP SP2 than it did under earlier versions especiallt regarding the Help Centre, this is because MS has corrected bugs that have been there since XP was released.

HTH Pilli

3. steverio

steverio Registered Member

I may of missed something? Does SP2 correct the "Help and Support" Start Menu link issue with WG and enable it?

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Steverio, Yes it does for most ppl: It was an error in XP from day one, so it looks like they have finally fixed it. :)

5. steverio

steverio Registered Member

Hya...

XP SP2 installed today. Affirmative.....WG "Help and Support" link activated now!:)

6. Donkalee

Donkalee Registered Member

No SP2 didn't fix the restore problem. Does anyone know where I can get "her" restore command file - can I extract it from a .cab file, and if so, which one?

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I just did some research at microsoft and dug real deep and came up with a problem that won't allow restore to run. the framedyn.dll is corrupted. you can get it here there is a good chance that this will fix your restore.
    both of these files can get corrupted or deleted and restore will quit working.
    bigc

I also found this little bit of info. You can get Kernel32.DLL here

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  8. superfanthony

superfanthony Registered Member

Hello. I am having a similar problem. I did a system restore, and now I am missing a file. I do not know what file is missing, but it is causing my network to not start, which means no internet apps, and worst of all, I cannot run System Restore because its (per what my friend told me) a web page.

I downloaded the framedyn.dll and replaced mine(windows/system32/wbem), but, alas, system restore still will not run. I also read elsewhere that a quick fix is to copy the framedyn.dll to the windows/system32 folder, but that also did not work.

Any thoughts?

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I have found that you may need to add this to your WG3 Allow list.
    c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
    Change the path to suit whatever partition / folder you have windows installed in.

HTH Pilli

10. superfanthony

@Pilli: You'll have to elaborate on WG3 allow list...Im not that tech-savvy, and I have no idea what it is.

11. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

OK here goes :)

Open the WG main window (GUI) and click the allow list editor, in the editor click Add, type in the path as shown in the screenshot, If your windows is in another folder / partition you will need to change the path to suit such as D\:widows etc. Then click done to that window and done to the main window.
    Hopefully your restore will now work properly :)

Pilli

Attached Files:

12. superfanthony

Oh crap...if WG is referring to WormGuard, then it cant be my problem. I dont have WG installed.

DOH! Sorry!!! :oops:

edit/explanation: I happened upon this thread via google. I did a system restore on my machine, and now I am missing a file that is preventing my network from starting...being a frustrated n00b, I didnt check the forum/thread subject, just assumed it was a general support forum.

Sorry!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  13. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

LOL!
    But hey, once you're here you can check out other parts of these forums - there's plenty of valuable information for all kinds of people/purposes. And, what's maybe more important, *lots* of very knowledgeably and very helpful people.

Have a good time - and good luck with your restore,
    Andreas

14. superfanthony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.