Missing values in Add Rule editor

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by passing thru, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. passing thru

passing thru Guest

When I was testing tonyjl's RegWatcher problem (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=553396#post553396), I noticed missing values at hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion when using the Add Rule editor. This is happening only on my P4 Thinkpad and persisted after rebooting. The values are visible on my desktops. I was still able to manually create/add a working rule. I will reinstall RD and see if it helps.

Screenshot here: http://img271.imageshack.us/img271/4563/missingvalues11dt.gif.

2. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

Hi passing thru,
    Did you resolve this issue?

3. passing thru

passing thru Guest

Hi tonyjl. Finally got a chance to look at the problem today. Uninstalling GSS, deleting the program folder, deleting the GSS registry keys, and reinstalling did not restore the missing values. My next step was to compare the laptop's values to my desktop's values. The only significant difference was the DevicePath data:

Desktop DevicePath registry data:

%SystemRoot%\inf

Laptop DevicePath registry data:

%SystemRoot%\inf;%SystemDrive%\DRIVERS\VIDEO;%SystemDrive%\DRIVERS\AUDIO;
    %SystemDrive%\DRIVERS\MODEM;%SystemDrive%\DRIVERS\NETWORK;%SystemDrive%\DRIVERS\OTHER;
    C:\DRIVERS\VIDEO\BX_06517;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\DK;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\FI;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\FR;
    C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\GR;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\IT;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\JP;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\KR;
    C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\LS;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\NL;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\NO;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\SC;
    C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\SE;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\SETUPDIR;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\SETUPDIR\0006;
    C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\SETUPDIR\0007;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\SETUPDIR\0009;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\SETUPDIR\000A;
    C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\SETUPDIR\000B;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\SETUPDIR\0010;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\SETUPDIR\0011;
    C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\SETUPDIR\0012;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\SETUPDIR\0013;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\SETUPDIR\0014;
    C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\SETUPDIR\001D;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\SETUPDIR\001E;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\SETUPDIR\0404;
    C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\SETUPDIR\040C;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\SETUPDIR\0416;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\SETUPDIR\0804;
    C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\TC;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\TH;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\US;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\BP

The large number of characters (1026) reminded me of the recently disclosed regedit.exe long-registry-string advisory. Taking a chance, I shortened the long string down to %SystemRoot%\inf and, sure enough, the values in RD's Add Rule editor became visible.

I have not determined the character limit after which the values/data disappear.

4. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

Ah yes, i remember that. I hope everything else still works alright after removing all data (specially your audio stuff). If so, then i'm glad you sorted it out. Wierd how it only affected GSS and not your laptop as a whole? Anyway good find though!!

5. passing thru

passing thru Guest

I did restore the full string when I finished playing with it and never tried rebooting with the short string in place. I found the limit to be 249 characters. Beyond that, the values vanish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.