Missing Right Click Menu in ESS 3.0.684.0

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by xeonbuilder, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xeonbuilder

xeonbuilder Registered Member

When I first installed ESS there was a right click menu for scanning files and now its gone. What I mean is that if you want to scan a file that like in a folder or anywhere I was able to right click on the file and there would be a scan option in the right click context menus. That is now gone.

I have tried to totally uninstall ESS and start from scratch but no luck. I checked the shell integration and its check off as well.

Anyone have any idea how to get those menus back? It sounds like a reg problem but I just dont know. Im using Vista Business 64 bit.

2. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

In Advanced Setup Tree/User Interface/Context Menu: Chk the box for "Integrate into Context Menu".

3. xeonbuilder

xeonbuilder Registered Member

I already did that. Thats why i posted here. lol.

Anyone else :)

4. purpler

purpler Registered Member

i must confirm such problem on latest v4 build..
    no context menu whatsoever even after checking "Integrate into Context Menu"
    checkbox in setup tree..

is it some sort of bug?

i want it, i paid it! ;|

5. drewm2

drewm2 Registered Member

yep same issue here in 4.0.467 context box ticked but still does not show up in menu (winxp)

6. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

The issue is with windows not integrating the context menu, not Eset.If the box was allways checked, you can try to uncheck it, click apply and reboot.Then go back in and check the box again, hit apply or ok and reboot again, then see if it appears.If not you need to dig through your registry and fix a value, that windows itself does not seem to be changing properly or has been blocked from changing.

when something like this goes wrong, you think ESS or NOD32 right away, there is actually a problem with windows that is preventing the menu from being added properly.you can try to run the repair option on the XP install with the context menu unchecked in the Eset setup, then after repair is done, go in and check it and reboot, then let us know.

I used to know where all this stuff was and how to fix it in the registry, But had since forgot, too much information to remember memorizing the brains of the operating system AKA the registry.If it still doesn't work after these tips, I will try to dig around and see if I can find in the regitry where to fix this.

or from add remove programs try the repair option for the Eset install, but I doubt it, because I'm fairly certain it's a registry error in windows preventing it.

Edit:

Ok, first off, do you see these values at these locations in the registry:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Eset Smart Security - Context Menu Shell Extension]
    @="{B089FE88-FB52-11D3-BDF1-0050DA34150D}"

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3683429377-784572142-2554053022-500\Software\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\ShellExt]
    "NotifyMultiFilesActions"=dword:00000000
    "Active"=dword:00000001

ignore S-1-5-21-3683429377-784572142-2554053022-500 on the second one, its a random generated # that you won't find the same as mine.But this is also HKEY_CURRENT_USER so these values will be in 2 locations.

just go into regedit and click, edit, find and uncheck keys and data and look for the value " NotifyMultiFilesActions " to find this second one.And the second key I put here should be "Active"=dword:00000001 at that location.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  7. drewm2

drewm2 Registered Member

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Eset Smart Security - Context Menu Shell Extension]

could not find, a few other programs are there etc winrar winzip.

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3683429377-784572142-2554053022-500\Software\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\ShellExt]
    "NotifyMultiFilesActions"=dword:00000000
    "Active"=dword:00000001

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21 i found this bit but not the rest to match.

8. ccomputertek

Missing this:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Eset Smart Security - Context Menu Shell Extension]

is why it's not showing up then.

9. drewm2

drewm2 Registered Member

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
    this is there but yep no eset smart security.
    so what now any thoughts, can i manually add it?

10. ccomputertek

open an empty notepad document and paste in the text between the asterisk

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Eset Smart Security - Context Menu Shell Extension]

Then save the notepad doc as " menu.reg " as type all files and to your desktop, then double click the reg file to add this to your registry.After that, log off and then back on or reboot to make it take effect.If still not working post back here.

11. drewm2

drewm2 Registered Member

i got sick of the other few problems ess was giving me so i revereted
    back to 2.7, what a difference system is alot smoother now & my right click scanning is back.
    uninstalling ess4 was a major hassle, i ended up d/l eset tool and removed in safe mode.
    as they say if it aint broke dont fix.
    thx for the help, at this stage eset smart security is not for my system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.