Missing Operating System

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by axslinger, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axslinger

axslinger Registered Member

Here's my issue:

I imaged a 200GB HD w/3 partitions to a 500GB HD. The first partition is a hidden restore/utility partition (Sony Vaio), the 2nd is the C: drive and the 3rd is the D: drive.

After imaging with True Image, the system will not boot from the newly imaged drive. I get "Missing Operating System". I verified that the two C: drives were the same size. I've looked at the partitions in Disk Manager while connected to a working XP machine and they appear to be intact. The data appears to be intact. I see nothing out of line.

So, why in the hell is this happening? C'mon Acronis! At least with Ghost, I could accept the default setting, Ghost the drive and it worked as advertised. Lately, I have had nothing but trouble with TI. The main machine I use it on to create images no longer knows what to do with the "Plug" option. I right-click on an image file, select "Plug" and get a "What do you want to do with this file" prompt, like you would get if you opened an unknown filetype. So, to humor myselft, I selected Open with TI. And guess what? It STILL didin't know what to do with it. It wanted to make a backup of my image!

And the first (and only time) I attempted to resize a partition with DD, it toasted that too, requiring virtual surgery to get the drive working again.

Any help you can offer with this "plug" issue, or the imaging issue would be appreciated as Im dead in the water.

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Just so we're on "the same page", did you do an Image or Clone. It sounds to me like you used the Clone feature. That error message is one that you will sometimes get with the Clone feature.

I would suggest that you do an Image Backup to, say, an external drive then do a Restore of that image to the 500 Gb drive. And use the bootable Rescue TI cd for this.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello axslinger,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please explain your step-by-step actions which you took that led you to this issue. Did you use Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media or did you use Acronis True Image in Windows? Please also take a look at the following articles that may help you to resolve the issue with "Missing Operating System":

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000181.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q80304

As to the issue with plug image feature of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home, please re-install the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and see if the issue persists. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If the problem persists, please create a screen shot of the window which you received after right click -> "Plug", if possible. Please also try to mount/plug the image archive by first running Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and then mount partition image as virtual drive. Please let us know the results.

As to the issue with Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 please post your question in the respective Acronis Disk Director Suite Forum.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.