missing drive?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BSAKing, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BSAKing

BSAKing Registered Member

I am trying out acronis TI Home. Obviously a newb to Acronis.

I am running Windows XP with 2 IDE MAxtor drives. One partitioned as a c & D drive and the other as an 80 gb separate physical drive designated as E:.

I am only running 3 IDE devices - 2 drives and a dvd burner.

When I boot under windows, I can see C, D, E and DVD plus networked drives.

When I use the recovery dvd I made (which is what one would use if the master drive dies), I can only see C & D and the dvd as drive e:. I cannot see the separate drive E which is where I would obviously like to store a backup.

I have no errors in the system and it all works tickety-boo under Win XP for normal restores.

Any ideas what I did wrong?

thanks.

2. PaulieD

PaulieD Registered Member

BSAKing,

SAME thing with me... look 9 posts above yours. We'll see if anyone can help us!

-PD

3. BSAKing

I see that Acronis does not support a dynamic drive. This thing is a secondary drive and I see in disk management it is dynamic.

Ok - great except how do I get this thing to be setup as a basic drive? Windows automatically allocates it as dynamic, even if I write 0's to make it a factory fresh drive.

Anyone?

thanks.

4. Peleg

Peleg Registered Member

Going from dynamic to basic can be a real PITA, because you may have to format the drive.

Is your E: drive an internal or externalo_O

I'm having a similar issue with an external Seagate drive where my tib file sits on, Acronis simply won't see it.....

5. PaulieD

PaulieD Registered Member

BSAKing,

I've read more posts and discovered that the ATI bootable disk runs on Linux, and the Linux flavor buried in the ATI bootable probably doesn't have drivers for our DVD drives. No one should complain about Vista's current limitations due to non-existent drivers... at least we know they'll eventually be created. Linux seems more trouble than it's worth.

See the Sticky at the top regarding a BartPE disk. It's a bit tricky, but will get us what we need.

Thanks!

Paulie

6. kd4dii

kd4dii Registered Member

I found if I power down the computer and external drive completely before booting to the Acronis disk then it would recognize the external drive. One thing that may happen is if the computer is not powered down fully then it seems to remember settings from Windows and is not able to access the drive. I got error messages when I didn't do a full power down and the drive was not recognized.

Bob

7. BSAKing

I dunno - It is a standard old internal maxtor IDE - drive - what is magical about that?

The dynamic business I can see because the boot sectoring (I think) is not the same. But I low level formatted the drive and still it gets allocated as dynamic under XP. So who knows?

That is the issue - how to get the damned thing so it is not a dynamic drive I guess.

Vista - lacks driver support and many of my key applications would not run (yet). I'll stick with XP for some while for sure until the dust settles. I mean geeze - I can't even figure out Acronis! LOL.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello BSAKing,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

I would like to confirm that Acronis True Image 10.0 Home does not support Windows Dynamic Disks.

Please refer to this article by Microsoft about how to convert to dynamic disks to basic in Windows XP Professional.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Peleg,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please clarify if the external USB hard drive is not visible when you use Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media or when you use Acronis True Image in Windows? Did you create the image archive to this external hard drive directly via Acronis True Image or did you copy the image archive via Widows Explorer to it?

Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Provide the exact vendor and model of the external hard drive you use.

If the issue related to the Acronis True Image Bootable CD, first of all, please make sure that the Bootable CD is created using the latest build of the appropriate version of Acronis True Image. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If you are using the latest build and the issue persists, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue not solved, please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Having collected the requested information please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.