Missing drive letter after clone of data drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Pickstar, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pickstar

Pickstar Registered Member

Using TI 9.0 (3666) I cloned a SATA data drive (F) to an identical hotswap SATA (H) and the clone ran successfully. After the reboot the drive letter (F) is now pointing to the (H) drive and the original (F) has disappeared. Since I want to take out the new clone (H) and put it in the safe I need to know how to retrieve my original (F) drive letter in Windows explorer. Tough to use it when it shows not to exist.

I have removed the (H) clone for storage. WindowsXP Device Manager shows the old (F) as active and healthy but Windows Explorer does not show it.

How do I retrieve my drive letter (F) (the source drive for the clone)?

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Login as an Administrator

1. Click Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management

2. In Disk Management assign the appropriate drive letter to the drive that contains the source files.

3. Reboot if necessary. (I have noticed in some Windows installations that Windows Explorer does not refresh drive information in "real-time". In such a situation it is usually necessary to reboot to refresh the Windows Explorer drive structure).

NOTE:
    Drive letters are not all that important. It is much more important that you ALWAYS give your drives a LABEL. That way you are always absolutely certain that you are referencing the correct media. For example, if you boot using the TI9 CD you will boot into the Linux kernel. It is almost certain that the drive letters assigned by Linux will differ to those assigned by Windows. This can be a big problem if you have not assigned LABEL's to your drives.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  3. Pickstar

Pickstar Registered Member

Thank you. Worked perfectly. Now all drives show in Explorer. I do have names but clone erases/duplicates the source name. No problem. Everything works fine. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.