Missing .DLL - I'm lost for now

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by SPlaGuy, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SPlaGuy

SPlaGuy Registered Member

I d/l and installed LooknStop (2,0,0,4) last night. After restarting I got an error message that WS2_32.DLL was missing. I have come to this board a few times today to read through posts looking for anything similar happening to anyone else, with no success.

I haven't been able to devote enough of my attention to this during the day, but hope to explore more tonight.

Can anyone tell me if "ws2_32.dll" is one that should have been installed by this program, or is it a file that should have already been on my system?

This is an old, old backup to a backup system (Win 95a, IE 3.0, P120, 32MB RAM, w/approx. 500 MB free space on HD), which is going to get onto my DSL connection soon. That is why I searched for the smallest/best s/w firewall and decided to give LooknStop a try first.

Can someone also tell me what the suffix "p2" shown after v2.0.4, that I have seen in some other posts represents? I don't recall seeing any reference to that on the page I downloaded from and the properties view of the installed ".EXE" doesn't indicate that either.

Thank you in advance to anyone that has been around here a bit longer that can point me in the right direction to resolve my missing file or any other issues that may pertain to this.

Bruce

2. SPlaGuy

Oops! Sorry for the double post :(

I didn't realize the first one actually got posted as my system froze and I had to reboot while attempting to preview. I promise not to do it again. Bad me, bad me

3. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey SPlaGuy

I think Look ‘n’ Stop requires Microsoft's implementation of the Winsock 2 programming interface. Winsock 2 is a separate, add-on component not included with basic Windows 95. ;)

http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WUAdminTools/S_WUNetworkingTools/W95Sockets2/Default.asp
    Download: http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/e/0/0e05231b-6bd1-4def-a216-c656fbd22b4e/W95ws2setup.exe

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Re:Oops! Sorry for the double post :(

Duplicate post removed and separate thread with the "Oops!" message merged into this one.

Not a problem, these things happen from time to time. ;)

5. Phant0m

Please visit http://www.wilderssecurity.info/pg.shtml :D

6. SPlaGuy

Re:Missing .DLL - I'm less lost now

Thank you all for the quick and helpful responses.

My second quess was that the missing file may have been related to winsock and wsock. I had forgotten about half of what I used to know about Win95/95b since I haven't used anything but XP for a while now

I did however already do the Winsock2 update this past weekend after the SP1 (95a) and other updates that came out during the the first couple years after 07-11-1995. I suspected that there were some Y2K updates that I haven't located yet that may also have applied to Winsock2, DUN, IE, etc. I used to have the MS Y2K Resource CD but lost it through an unreturned loan.

I also read the link to the LooknStop version history page, and am left with one question: Is the "p2" determined only by the creation or modified date(s) of the files? I still see only v2,0,0,4 when viewing the properties of the "LooknStop.EXE" (262,214 bytes). All six (6) files in the Program Files\LooknStop folder took on the then current date (and timestamp) of 08-12-003, and is in size. I haven't seen that date overide happen with many other programs lately.

BTW, I did download the installation file "LooknStop_Setup_204.exe" (484,328 bytes) directly from the wilderssecurity.com website.

I should get this all resolved, up and working when I return later this evening.

Hopefully the last question for today: If anyone else reading this has an older system with similar limited resources, can you confirm that LooknStop is the best software firewall for such systems?

At this point I'm most interested in the smallest possible footprint to save room for other progs. that this system is lacking now. From reading some of the other posts here it sounds like this is going to be very good from the functional standpoint. If anyone is aware of any other s/w firewall that is better suited to this low-end system, "speak now or forever hold your piece" I'll just try LooknStop on my WinXP - P4 system in that case.

Thanks all for your help.

7. Phant0m

Hey SPlaGuy

In Version properties you’ll see "Special Build Description" at the very bottom with “p2” shown on the right window view…

Yea; the d/l is linked to the official Look ‘n’ Stop server…

Look ‘n’ Stop Personal Firewall v2.04p2 runs smoothly on my Outdated System (486/20mhz 8MB of ram) running Microsoft Windows 95b… Does this clear things up a bit?

And yes this Software Firewall is the only efficient Software Firewall for OLD, Slow Computers… Unless you want to be using Outdated Rule-base Software Firewalls like ConSeal PC Firewall… ;)

8. Phant0m

In Addition; visit http://www.winplanet.com/winplanet/reports/561/1/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.