Missing a file

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by craigbass76, Oct 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigbass76

craigbass76 Registered Member

I used litepc on a winME machine. Something needs the file shfolder.dll to run. In looking at litepc's website, I can pull this off the cd somehow. It's a Dell, and probable only has a restore disk. How do I pull this file off of it? Can anyone give me this file? Mail it to criagbass76@gwi.net and I will love you forever. So will my aunt.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I sent a copy of the file you ask for. the problem is I have three on my comp. But I believe this is the one you want. I hope :) If this not the one I will send the other two. Good luck.

For some reason my first e-mail bounced so I just sent it again.

3. craigbass76

Got it (got two emails actually) and I'm replying

4. craigbass76

Ok everybody, here's what happened...

email to curtis after he sent me a shfolder.dll file:

Thanks. I ended up finding a couple different ones, so now I have three to try. Maybe you can answer another question. What would need this file? Would msn messenger need it? My aunt says that program doesn't work anymore. I told msn not to start up when windows starts, but maybe it is half starting anyway (typical microsoft) She doesn't have internet explorer, and from what I read on the net that's the program that uses this file.

Where does this file go?

his reply:

Even if you don't use internet explorer it still has to have the files for everything to run like it should one of microsoft's better ideas. Even arcsoft photo suite uses that file. Well maybe one of the files you got will work for you. If you are useing win. me you might be able to reinstall just the drivers which should put the original file back. I am running xp but I had Me before this and had to reinstall just drivers wit it so you should be able to do it that way. Just reinstalling drivers won't cause you to lose any progs. or files. I hope it works out for you. please let me know what you remedy is just in case someone on wilders ask that same question again, we will know what to do. If there is anything else I can do to help please don't hesitate to ask

my reply:

I threw your into the windows\system folder, then typed c:\winnt\system32\regsvr32.exe c:\winnt\system32\shfolder.dll in the run command line in the start menu. I got a message that some corrupted file may still be in memory or something, so I put in one of the other files I found on the net and got the same message. Then I rebooted and things were fine. Your file might have worked, I just didn't realize initially that I needed a reboot to empty the memory.

The trouble with reinstalling drivers is that so many computers today come with just a restore disk, don't they? I got that and a driver cd, but I thought lots of people just got the restore. Those make me so angry; I'd rather just have a windows disk without all the junk software that comes with a Best Buy type new computer. This computer was purchased, but I think I'm building my next one, or getting a Mac, one or the other. Maybe I'll get two and do both.

So there. I'm done and everything seems to be working fine. My aunt now has windowsME running LitePC, ditched IE and Outlook Express in favor of Mozilla and its built in email program, the latest spybot release and update, and AVG. I tried to get her to use trillian, but her teenage daughter absolutely HAS to have ICONS in her aol chatting sessions with all her little friends. Whatever....

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am glad that you got everything ironed out. I have also gone with mozilla 1.5 but I use Eudora mail program. Just a personal choice, I like the mozilla mail program also.Well be seeing you around the forum.

:)surf safe :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.