Mirror suggestion for updates.

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by edwin3333, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edwin3333

edwin3333 Registered Member

We have remote locations with 1, 2, maybe 3 PC's. These remote locations are out in the middle of no where, so they have extremely slow connections.

When Nod32 updates come down normally, like a few a day, no problem.

On days like today, there are many updates. The updates occur faster than my clients can get them downloaded. I have a client which began to download 3827 but the download was interrupted because the patter files were replaced/updated while he was downloading them. Then he tries 3828, same thing. We are up to 3831 now and he's still on 3826.

In the mean time, his slow internet pipe is at 100% utilization during this entire time due to the continually failing updates.

I can modify the update interval, but that doesn't fix the problem at all. Once he begins to try and download Nod32 keeps trying until it's successful. All day long.

What can I do about this? Are there options to tweak? I have about 100 stations with slow connections that are affected.

nodaaa.png

2. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello edwin3333,

You can try using a mirror to limit the bandwidth usage.

Thank you,
    Richard

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Both v3/v4 use very small incremental updates (usually a few kB in size) so there shouldn't be a problem with slow update downloads.

4. edwin3333

edwin3333 Registered Member

a) I am using a mirror. The mirror see's the upstream server has newer patterns and starts to download them. Apparently while that is happening the HTTP server is set to not accept new connections, breaking existing ones. UNC update can't do that, but the files are being updated while the download occurs and thus the clients can't get a good file until the download complete.

b) Incremental updates. Perhaps I have something setup wrong. CA eTrust allows you to configure to use incremental, or always download full. They offer this because sometimes they get stuck with back incremental and you have to force the update by forcing a full download. Is there some setting in Nod32 I perhaps have setup wrong? Somewhere I am telling it to always do fulls? I don't recall seeing that type of a setup, but it appears to be what is happening I guess.

Thanks!

5. DontPanic

DontPanic Registered Member

Did you find an answer to this? Same type of problem here only with 500 clients about half fail with download interrupted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.