mIRC blocked by NOD32

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Zeyi, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeyi

Zeyi Registered Member

Well I've tried googling all this a few times but to no avail. Decided to get some support from those I presume who know best, so if anyone can shed some light I'd massively appreciate it.

I'm thinking of buying a NOD32 License, I used to use v2, it ran out last year. I'm now looking at the new one obviously. I downloaded the trial today, no problems, set everything up fine. I was on IRC while installing it and after it had been installed, again - no problems.

Since restarting mIRC refuses to connect to any server.

Examples of error messages:
    Code:
    (11:42:02) * Connecting to tlserv.com (6667)
    (11:42:02) * Unable to create socket
    (11:42:03) * Connecting to irc.sharesource.org (6667)
    (11:42:03) * Unable to create socket
    (11:42:08) * Connect retry #1 irc.sharesource.org (6667)
    (11:42:08) * Unable to create socket
    (11:42:03) * Connecting to chat.freenode.net (8000)
    (11:42:03) * Unable to create socket
    (11:42:08) * Connect retry #1 chat.freenode.net (8000) (dns pool)

I use mIRC latest version with NoNameScript.
    I tried adding:
    Code:
    C:\Program Files\mIRC\*.*
    C:\Program Files\mIRC\mirc.exe
    to exclusions, I also tried the IRC servers to the HTTP exclusions(even though they aren't http). No luck.

I also turned everything off and it is still blocked, that lead me to believe maybe NOD32 had deleted an important file, but the logs don't show anything having been detected.

Obviously I want NOD32, it's the best AV I've used, but if I can't solve these problems then I'll have to go elsewhere :(

I'll add notes here as I discover new things, thanks for anyone's time.

- Other IRC Clients work. :s (I'm not willing to change, too much setup ;))
    - After uninstalling NOD32 everything works fine again.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello!

I personally don't use mIRC but I have plenty of clients teenagers who are actively running this + NOD32 3.0 and never had problems with it.

Could you try a few things:

1) Check your firewall if it might be blocking the program
    2) Make sure you have no other antivirus programs installed and that the previous AV program has been completely uninstalled/removed

3) Repair Winsock
    Windows XP SP2 , XP SP3 and Windows Vista all

Goto Start –> Run
    type cmd and click OK.
    Type netsh winsock reset
    Press ENTER . Restart immediately !

N.B. ! There is a space between the commands , example netshSPACEwinsockSPACEreset
    N.B. ! If you use Windows Vista , you must first run cmd as Administrator .

4) Install NOD32 3.0 again and add everything in mIRC's folder to the exclusion

C:\Program Files\mIRC\*.*

5) Most importantly (not sure , however , if mIRC will be listed as browser) :
    Open the web browsers section and uncheck mIRC - like svchost.exe is unchecked here
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=199831&stc=1&d=1210437289

This will make its traffic not scanned at all. This will pose no risk to your computer .

After that , confirm the changes with OK . Reboot the computer and try again :thumb:

3. Zeyi

Zeyi Registered Member

Thanks for the help mate. I didn't think of reseting the winsock - good thinking!

It actually got me on a thought spree, so to speak. I realised mIRC holds data in application data (withing docs&settings) so I added them to excludes aswell, also took your idea of unchecking the application as browser.

It _seems_ to be working, just going to restart this very second. I'll edit if it is succesful :D

EDIT:

All seems to be in working order, huge thanks!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Thanks for letting us know :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.