Mint 12 is officially released

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by vasa1, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

vasa just install startup manager its gui tool you can change time from there as well

or editing the file you mentioned

2. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

3. mack_guy911

Forget about mate.......

just install mint from live cd version make panel to up..(ie close bottem panel) and install docky and put icons on docky/awn as well you if you want old fashioned kinda linux 12 give you that :thumb:

i didnt try mate much ............but i can do everything without mate all i miss in docky/awn ...etc few things still need to learn but now i am use 90% of my old linux 10 + many news things

there some things which are needed to learn thats all so my opinion is very positive to linux mint 12 :thumb:

i hate gnome 3.2 but this one change me to think again great works guys :thumb:

for making panel down and theme looks post no 41 of same

and for looks please check screenshots

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

The Ubuntu Software Manager does have startup manager but comments indicate that the dev is not actively maintaining it any more and -https://launchpad.net/grub-customizer- is suggested as a replacement. This is not available from USC and requires a launchpad ppa.

I haven't tried it since I'm not unhappy with my present settings.

5. mack_guy911

i tried grub-customizer but its buggy on live cd i dont know in real mode i try less software old is ok with me as long as they are stable

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Ocky, doesn't the latest Ubuntu have GRUB 2?
    The link doesn't indicate the GRUB version but I saw this reference to Vista:
    Code:
           menuentry "Vista"{
           insmod ntfs
           set root=(hd0,2)
           search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 3496648396644786
           drivemap -s (hd0) $root
           chainloader +1
           }
    In any case, I'm presumptuously assuming that kjdemuth is a Linux newbie and my humble suggestion is, "don't fiddle with GRUB" right now" :D

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

vasa1,
    It's all Grub2. Grub2 was first introduced in Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) I think.

That's just a chainloader entry for the custom menu so that you can boot directly into Windows Vista/7.

I haven't done it this way as I only have triple boot and am simply using the 40_custom file
    where I have placed a symlink and chainloader entry for the two OS's that don't control my
    booting (i.e. grub2 was not installed to the mbr).

You can see my exact setup in attached txt file. (It's KISS way) :D

View attachment Ocky_Triple_Boot_with_2_hdd.txt

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I'm more of a newbie to Linux than most everyone in this forum, and I honestly find the methods in the links you've provided to be far more complicated than using EasyBCD. Please don't get me wrong, I appreciate you're help in providing providing an alternative method. It's just that with EasyBCD I don't have to boot from grub; rather, when installing Linux, I install grub2 to the root partition, then after completing the installation, boot back into Windows (Windows is the active partition), then use EasyBCD to add the grub loader, keep Windows as "Default" O/S, then I can boot into the Windows bootloader because this is what I preffer as opposed to booting to grub, with Windows as default, since I use Windows the majority of the time, but then I can scroll to the Linux entry for those few times I want to.

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I don't believe that for even a second :D
    See, this is the part. Now take a newbie who wants to dual boot, there's no option at the time of installing to choose where to install grub2. This is at least what I've seen for Ubiquity, Ubuntu's installer which Mint uses as well. I don't know about other distros.

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Well, Fedora has just switched to GRUB2, isn't that correct? I think Bodhi still has the other GRUB but I'm not sure.

What is a newbie to know about symlinks and chainloaders and do they even know about mbr? I've just about heard the terms but that's about it!

I'm convinced you guys have forgotten what it is to be a newbie ;)

Edit: since it was based on Ubuntu 10.04, Bodhi would be using GRUB2, I think.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  11. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

The option is there in Ububtu and mint, as well as some other distros I've tried, although I agree to a newbie it is not that easy the first time or two, especially when they are presented with partition notations as, for example: sda1, sda 2, sda3...etc., then of course another h/drive will be sdb1...etc. The newbie has to know which sdax to install to if they want it on the Linux root. It's first knowing how to partition efficiently (I really like the extended option), then understanding the Linux lingo, plus a handy disk command like fdisk -l and so forth. For myself I make a mental note of where I put the root and /home partitions during my installations (I use the manual method) so that I don't put grub in the wrong place, because I have messed up things before, but then I keep everything imaged so recovery isn't too painful :)

Ocky, are you kidding me! :blink: o_O :D

12. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Nor do I ! :)
    Sure you can choose where to install grub2 'Device for bootloader installation' - see Mrk's.
    review http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-ocelot.html
    For instance you would choose sda1 to install to root partition, or sda to install to mbr to let grub2 control the booting. All your Linux flavours and Windows will then be shown in the
    grub2 boot menu ready for you to choose.

13. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

You assume correctly. :p I am very much a linux newbie.
    I didn't do the mint4win install this time. I actually partitioned an unallocated space from my HD. I then went through the mint 12 install. I did the run along side windows option. It automatically recognized the unallocated space and installed it. The only thing that I wasn't sure of is when it rebooted. I was in, what I assume, the grub menu. I had the option to boot into mint, mint recovery and all the way down the bottom was windows 7 on sda1. As fas as easy BCD is concerned, mint doesn't show up in the boot menu anywhere. I'm assuming because grub boots before the windows 7 MBR. I'm looking around now to see how to change that boot order in grub. I just want win 7 to be the default because I do most of my work in win 7. I use mint when I'm at work, since I don't have a lot of personal info on mint.

14. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

This should do what you want (I hope :doubt: )

EDIT:- See also the dedoimedo grub2 tutorial for creating custom scripts to make one or other OS entry to boot first, changing the name of the entry
    and getting rid of the 'untidy' generic kernel number entries etc. http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

You won't see it if you go for install alongside, which, I'm assuming, is the choice of newbies. Anyone who goes for "manual" or "do something else" is no longer a newbie. (I have a very opinionated view of who is a newbie :D )

16. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

You are right, I never did an alongside install - prefer the manual way as I find it less confusing. :p

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Q.E.D :D

18. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Which is it ??

Quite Easily Done (+1) :D
    Quick Easy Dirty
    Quod Erat Demonstrandum

19. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

The one I was taught in school geometry ;)

20. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

OK, gotcha. You had me mucho confused there for a while. :argh:

21. mack_guy911

today i downloaded and rewrite linux mint 64 but dvd version it use 60-70% cpu on idle mode strange anyone else also having this problem 64 bit dvd version seems buggy

the main cpu usage is used by dbus-daemon is anyone else also face this problem on 64bit dvd

although cd version of 32 bit is awesome experience so far on live cd :thumb:

also my second question is there any chat of comparison between DVD and cd version what packages include or exclude ..........etc

22. x942

x942 Guest

I am trying to setup mint 12 with LUKS and every time I don't use this script it wont boot.

Basically I can setup LUKS and all fine but when I get to grub it never works. I have followed every guide I can find but I always get:

Has anyone managed to do a LUKS install with Linux mint 12? If so can you post what you did please?

Using the script I run into an issue where ubiquity crashes immediately after install which the script sees and exits out. Everything install fine but the new Grub config isn't written by the script which is the only thing I can't seem to get right my self. I tried to follow through the script by hand and it still throws that error.

Back to fedora until I can figure this out.

23. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  24. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

OK guys, the moment of reckoning. If the Mint team can't do it, no one can. But can they? So here's a rather long review of Linux Mint 12 Lisa tested on low-end 32-bit architecture hardware, including Gnome 3 and MATE fallback desktop environments, look and feel with Gnome Shell Mint Extensions (GSME), multimedia support - Flash Player, MP3 playback, Apple QuickTime, Microsoft Media Server (MMS), applications, installation in dual-boot configuration with Windows 8, new themes and customization, system stability, responsiveness, resource usage, suspend & resume, problems like weak search, printing, fonts, visual inconsistencies, and more. And well will have another review on the high-end machine soon, plus a dedicated article on MATE. Booyakasha!

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-mint-lisa-low-end.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

25. mack_guy911

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1784237&postcount=51

in fedora so far i remember we have to create separate boot partition without luks as grub/grub2 ....etc dont support luks please make me correct if i am wrong

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/11/12/disk-encryption-in-fedora-16/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.