Minor Conflict RegDefend and Hostsman 2.0

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by siliconman01, Jul 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

After installing HostsMan 2.0 to manage and protect my HOSTS file, RegDefend and also ProcessGuard GUI's always revert back to opening in minimized view. These are the only two programs on my system that do this. Every other program remembers the previous setting for the view window.

Interesting :rolleyes:

2. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

I don't think that behaviour would be related to Hostsman at all. Do you run registry cleaners or anything of that sort?

3. siliconman01

Yes, I run jv16 PowerTools to clean out the registry junk prior to a defrag...which I do weekly.

Think I have inadvertently deleted a value or key that should not have been?

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I'm not sure you have an issue....if we take into account the fact the autostart key for RegDefend is set to the minimized state.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    "C:\Program Files\RegDefend\regdefend.exe" -minimize

5. siliconman01

Well, that refers to a system reboot and that is WAD on my system.

What I am referring to is while in normal operating mode. I could swear that in the past I could click on the systray icon and either RegDefend's or ProcessGuard's window would open in maximized mode if I was using maximized mode on a previous opening/viewing of the program. Isn't that what your system does. Mine now always reopens in minimized view.

6. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Both PG and RD have always reverted back to reopening in a minimized window on my system, even if the window was previously maximized when I closed it. I believe this is how both programs work...

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Very true. Btw....call me ignorant....but what is WAD ?

I also agree puff....regarding that's how RegDefend works. In fact....there was a suggestion\comment in the RegDefend Wishlist thread concerning remembering the Window size on closure.

8. siliconman01

WAD = Works As Designed :D

Golllllllllllllllie.... I must be doing too much beta testing...can't remember how things are supposed to work anymore. :eek:

9. M_S

M_S Registered Member

I have a problem because I would like to use Hostsman as my Hosts file editor, but it is always greyed out. When I search for 'Hosts' in Sysinternals Process Explorer, I find that GSS.exe is connected to the file. Does this mean that it is GSS that has control of the Hosts file? Is there a way to change this? I quite often find that I want to edit my Hosts, but I can't do that at the moment. I have tried to delay GSS's startup, using Startup Delayer - I thought that I might have success if I could get Hostsman hooked to the Hosts file first; that didn't work.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.