Minimum security - good security ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by StevieO, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

I'm thinking of shutting down ALL my extra security Apps !!!

Well for a while anyway, just to see if i notice much improved speed/performance etc.

Now as i ain't stoooopid lol, i have already been locking down both IE and FF as much as possible for years. Eg, No - Scripting/ActiveX/Java/Iframes etc etc.

Left in place will be, Router/Firewall/Av

I may even decide to venture further and reduce even those.

Anybody else up for it ?

2. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Some of us are already there.

3. StevieO

huangker

Good for you. How does it compare to before, and what Apps did you have, and what are running now ?

ssj100

Maybe you misread what i listed ? No worries though, it happens. I've done it myself on occasion lol.

No - Scripting/ActiveX/Java/Iframes etc etc, meant that i don't have ANY of those things active for 99% of the time. Only Scripting gets activated as and when required, and then disabled again.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm actually using only Avira at the moment only to be informed in real time if anything smells. I'm thinking of (not sure if I do it though) keeping all my files in USB drives, using no antimalware and restoring an image every 24-48 hours (8-9 minutes is the time for a coffee) it should work.

Years ago people were having many applications (I used to have Nod+PG+RD which was considered a 'moderate' setup). Nowadays imaging programs are faster, easier to use, and reliable not to mention sandboxes, ISR, and virtualizers. For people who are prepared to learn some basic computer security, malware is no longer a problem.

5. arran

arran Registered Member

if you plan on restoring image every 24-48 hours then you might well use a virtualization software which restores image after every reboot.

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I actually use virtualization (ShadowUser, ShadowDefender, DeepFreeze), the point of the the thread is to define minimum: an image stored on a USB drive is 100% safe from malware. Theoretically virtualizers can be targeted as well, very rare but possible.

7. StevieO

Hi all.

I think a realistic minimum for me would be, System/Browser hardening plus Firewall, along with a Modem or Router.

Personally i prefer a Modem, as i can inspect the FW logs easily/quickly if/when required. With a Router you don't see many inbounds in your FW logs, so knowing who's probing you etc isn't as straightforward.

The only other App i might put in the mix in this configuration would be Returnil. Of course you can't update any software etc with an App such as that, so disabling it for a while until finished needs to be done.

8. eXPerience

eXPerience Registered Member

You can always use no AV/IS/FW and just use a harddrive protector like Returnil, Comodo Diskshield, etc. After you get infecter, simply reboot and the system will be back to it's original state.

eXPerience

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Minimalistic is come of age IMO too.

With the new discovery of how well Trust-No-Exe mimics close to AE minus the overhead coupled with EQS and few other small traps put in place, a system really loses demands formerly required to run the security hogs while at the same time protecting your vitals on your good machine.

First and foremost i always recommend a couple of good solid clean backup images transferred over to either an external or internal hard drive (Bootable to your particular machine of course)then pull the plug.

Therein rests your rescue apparatus should any faulty circuit go awry or some invasion bites the file system uncaptured/unnoticed untill too late.

EASTER

10. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

There's already a recent thread on this subject here. This is just a re-hash of the same thing.

Of course there will be a speed/performance improvement, though you may not notice it.

11. StevieO

It wasn't meant to be a " re-hash " i assure you.

Anyway thanks to all the posters for your opinions.

12. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I never fell into the fad of using tons of real-time security apps. Honestly it appeared to be more of a hobby to those that did that out of necessity. I've been using a router, XP firewall (no 3rd party FW's), Avira Premium, and SAS for a couple of years now. I've also been using MBAM since it was in beta. Recently I added Prevx v3 to my systems which has virtually zero impact on system performance and seems to co-exist with Avia without conflict. According to the task manager both real-time apps are using <35MB of system memory. I span my backups across multiple hard drives.

13. Windchild

Windchild Registered Member

Been doing it for years. Except that I'm not running any AVs or antimalwares, just a firewall and the operating system which is more than enough to keep things locked down tight.

It's not in any way "minimum", though. It will prevent malicious software from infecting the system far better than all the AVs and antispywares and antithis-and-thats in the world combined. :)

14. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Low impact, low cost, doggone good security =
    1- SPI capable router

2- Threatfire (free)

3- Avast (free)

15. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Now that's one answer I like very much. :D

16. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

Kerio 2.15
    Processguard 3.150
    RegProt
    Firefox + NoScript

This is an extremely light combo I use on an old laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.