Migration from Vista to Windows 7 on new hard drive: incorrect free space displayed

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by molar, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. molar

molar Registered Member

I am trying to migrate a laptop from Vista (32 bit) to Win 7 (64 bit) so it is dual boot (i.e. keep the Vista installation).

I have PHDM 8.5SE already installed (must have had this since the laptop was new) and used this to copy the existing 160Gb HDD which has two partitions to a new 500Gb one. PHDM scaled the size of the partitions so the C which was 88Gb is now 275Gb and E 190Gb. Interesting the 500Gb drive is displayed as 465Gb capacity.

I have swapped the original drive with the new and booted into Vista. However PHDM and Windows Disk Manager show the C partition as 275Gb with only 20Gb free which is clearly wrong. Windows Explorer reports it as 88Gb with about 20Gb free; this is the original size.

So for some reason the amount of free space on the C partition is wrong. I want to install Win 7 on the C partition but cannot do so. I am not sure what to do! Advice will be appreciated!
  2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Try shrinking each partition slightly 1gb or so is enough with windows 7 disk management.

Then extend them again.
  3. molar

molar Registered Member

Thanks, I shall give that a go :)

Update: yes that worked. Thanks very much! I then reduced the size of the partition and created a new one for the Win 7 installation, which has all gone well. Much appreciated.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.