Migration from Vista to Windows 7 on new hard drive: incorrect free space displayed

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by molar, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. molar

molar Registered Member

I am trying to migrate a laptop from Vista (32 bit) to Win 7 (64 bit) so it is dual boot (i.e. keep the Vista installation).

I have PHDM 8.5SE already installed (must have had this since the laptop was new) and used this to copy the existing 160Gb HDD which has two partitions to a new 500Gb one. PHDM scaled the size of the partitions so the C which was 88Gb is now 275Gb and E 190Gb. Interesting the 500Gb drive is displayed as 465Gb capacity.

I have swapped the original drive with the new and booted into Vista. However PHDM and Windows Disk Manager show the C partition as 275Gb with only 20Gb free which is clearly wrong. Windows Explorer reports it as 88Gb with about 20Gb free; this is the original size.

So for some reason the amount of free space on the C partition is wrong. I want to install Win 7 on the C partition but cannot do so. I am not sure what to do! Advice will be appreciated!

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Try shrinking each partition slightly 1gb or so is enough with windows 7 disk management.

Then extend them again.

3. molar

molar Registered Member

Thanks, I shall give that a go :)

Update: yes that worked. Thanks very much! I then reduced the size of the partition and created a new one for the Win 7 installation, which has all gone well. Much appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.