Migrating two partitions backup ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by fishbone007, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishbone007

fishbone007 Registered Member

Dear all,

I'm quite new to the forum and true image software 2009 and would like to share the following with you?

Situation:

I do have a hard disk with two partitions:

C: System containing operating system Windows Vista + Program Files

G: Containing Program Files since due to space limitations i was forced to install programms onto the G partition.

Objective: I bought a larger hard drive and would like to transfer the information above to the new hard drive the most efficient way.

I have made an image of the complete C Drive and i have made an image of the Program Files Folder contained on the G Drive (the rest of the G drive is data which i don't need on my new hard drive).

Question: Is it possible to restore the two images onto a single partition on my new hard drive?. i.e. put all program files together on the same partition and have the programs installed understand this change and work properly as before?

Do you have any recommendation on how to proceed the most efficient way?
    If it is not possible to merge both how can i make sure all programs will work properly as before? Do i have to set up my new partitions on my new hard drive with the same letter i.e. C:\ & G:\.

Thank you very much in advance.

All the best,

Laura

Edit: I'm thinking of this possible solution:

1) Use TI2009 to make an image of my C Drive i.e. Migrate Windows Vista to my new drive.
    2) Buy PcMover Software from Laplink and use this software to migrate my programm files etc... Is this software really worth the money ?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  2. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

I use windows xp, but I'm sure Vista works similar.

As long as the original programs where installed in the c: drive (even if the actual program folder was installed in a different partition) and had the proper registry entries added to the registry. Those programs will always work no matter what partition the "program folder" is located in.

The only thing you will have to do is update the shortcuts to point to the new location of the exe files in the "program folder". I have yet to encounter a program that didn't work when I moved the "program folder" to a different partition.

No, you cannot restore 2 images into the same partition, everytime you restore a partition it overwrites the other partition. What you can do is install the system partition, then mount your data image and transfer the "program folders" that you need over to the c: drive.

Everything should work, as long as you update the shortcuts, that's all I have to do it's very quick.

3. fishbone007

Hey Jonyjoe,

Thanks for your swift answer. I appreciate it.

If this works it will be great.
    However i'm confused with "As long as the original programs where installed in the c: drive (even if the actual program folder was installed in a different partition) and had the proper registry entries added to the registry. Those programs will always work no matter what partition the "program folder" is located in. " > Indeed, what i did is that when my C partition started to be full, everytime i was installing a program/game/applications by default the installed wanted to install to C:\Program Files ...... and i changed the partition letter to G\Program Files ...... In other words i'm not sure what you mention above, i.e. "where installed in the c drive" applies to this situation...

Can you please confirm ?

Thx

4. jonyjoe81

Thats how I install all my games. I don't install in my c:/program files but in my data d:/program files.

I can for instance move those program folders from d: partition and put them on e: partition or even c: partition and they will still work. Usually the shortcuts to those programs are in my desktop, all I have to do is browse to the new location of the exe files in those "program folders" and update them. Everytime I have move my "program folders" they have always worked.

When you install a program the registry entries are made to the c: drive, that will never change. Your program exe files (no matter where they are located) will look in the c: drive and verify that the proper entries and serial numbers etc are there and startup the program.

Laplink pcmover is only for transfering programs (not the operating system) from different computers. Example transfer your programs from a desktop to a laptop.

For upgrading to a larger hard drive that will be going back into the same computer, true image can do that task quite easily in most cases.

5. fishbone007

WoW ! I learn new things everyday. Can't get enought! Thank you for your insights its clear for me. I will try that tonight and post feedback when done.

Last thing: Do you have a fast way or tool to redirect all your shortcuts to the correct place or do you do it always manually one by one?

Cheers !

6. jonyjoe81

I always update my shortcuts manually one by one. It doesn't take that long unless you have a lot of programs folders that need updated.

7. Wandering2

Wandering2 Registered Member

This method will work well IF the program installer does not write file locations to the registry. If it does, the programs will not work in the new location. Most major applications have this problem. But if your program will run without installing it, then it will work fine. I did much the same thing a while back when I added a second drive, and moved most programs to it, so I could give over the whole first drive to C: Most programs worked fine in the new location, because it was still named D: even though it was a different drive now. But even then, a few programs had to be re installed. It all depends on how they address to drives in the registry. They don't always use disk letters.

Good luck.

8. fishbone007

jony & wandering,

Sorry for the late feedback.
    Thanks for your support. As you said for some it worked for others not but i managed to make it work and it was not so complicated.

Thank you again.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.