MigrateEasy and SCO Unix?

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by DemonBuilder, Dec 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DemonBuilder

DemonBuilder Guest

I'd really appreciate some help. We have a crucial application running on a very old system -- SCO Unix v/386 release 3.2 on a 386SX PC, dual-booted with Win 3.1. Until yesterday, when it died, we had a backup system running the same sort of setup ...

This is our busy time of year and we don't have time to source, buy and migrate to a new application, and I need somehow to clone the remaining PC before it dies too. Unfortunately, the original SCO Unix install stuff is also long dead, being around 15 years old, so we can't simply reinstall on a newer PC. Hence this query.

The PC has two hard disks mounted as two partitions / (root) and /u.

* Can I use MigrateEasy to clone them, before installing in a new PC?

* If so, how do I run the software under SCO if it's a Windows product? (I do have access to plenty of Win PCs)

* Will SCO recognise the new hardware (eg, different disk parameters) after the clone job?

* Are there other things I need to resolve?

I'd be very grateful for any advice anyone can offer.

DemonBuilder

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello DemonBuilder,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis products (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/).

We regret to inform you that you cannot use Acronis Migrate Easy on your 386SX PC. The minimal requiment is a Pentium machine. However, you can connect your old hard disk drives to another computer and clone them using Acronis Migrate Easy installed there. Please also note that you can burn (under Windows) a bootable CD with Acronis Migrate Easy standalone version and use this CD on computers without Windows operating system installed.

After you get the cloned drives... There is a problem concerned with so old operating system to recognise new hardware. Our developers who worked with SCO Unix v/386 claim that this operating system won't work on modern computers.

Thank you.

--
    Andrew Berezovsky

3. DemonBuilder

DemonBuilder Guest

Thanks for your quick reply Andrew. Maybe that still leaves me some hope.

Is there a theoretical solution providing I can (a) clone the SCO disks on a Windows PC, and (b) find hardware old enough to be recognised by SCO?

Presumably I would need three hard disks installed in the Windows PC -- the Windows disk, the clone source, and the clone target, and I would also have to locate suitable hardware (including the clone target disk), but does this sound theoretically feasible?

DemonBuilder

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.