Migrate IDE to SATA, fails to boot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by erunyon, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erunyon

erunyon Registered Member

I have done a backup of my 40GB IDE HDD, installed a new SATA 200GB HDD. The migration worked fine, copied all files (Win XP pro). Set the new SATA drive as the boot drive in BIOS, get "no OS found" message. Take the IDE drive completely out, whereby the SATA drive is the only drive, still get boot error (no OS found).

Using True Image 10 Home.

Why doesn't this work? Did I miss something??

2. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

Hi,

To migrate from IDE to SATA you need Acronis Workstation with Universal Restore.

UR modifies the Mass storage drivers so Windows "thinks" it was installed on the new hardware.

Without that version it ll be difficult to achieve your requirements.

Good luck!

Jaycee

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You say you "copied all the files" to the new drive. What did you actually do?

Did you clone the 40GB drive to the new drive?

Did you make an image backup of the entire 40GB IDE drive (check the box for the drive not just the C partition)?

Did you restore the entire image to the new 200GB drive (all partitions not just the C partition)?

4. erunyon

yes, "copied all files" via cloning the drive. Yes, copied all partitions (checked the box for the drive not just the C partition), yes, restored entire image to 200gb....

Been imaging drives for nearly 20 years, know the procedure, but have never cloned a drive from IDE to SATA yet with making it a boot drive.

Looks like I need to dig in the pockets for yet more money.... TI home 10 is worthless to me if it cant do this as I'll probably do it only once on my home PC.

5. RickNY

RickNY Registered Member

There is no need to spend any more money TI 10 Home did exactly what it was supposed to do.. What you need to do now is fix Windows since you switched the boot device controller.

Acronis has an article on what you need to do.. Put your old drive back in and boot off it, and follow the procedures here:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq/clone-windows-to-hardware/

Rick

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

After you cloned the IDE drive to the SATA drive, did you remove the IDE drive BEFORE booting to Windows? If not, then Windows saw the SATA drive and assigned it a different drive letter, so it won't be bootable. Repeat the cloning and this time don't let Windows see the clone.

If you did remove the IDE drive before rebooting into Windows, then I'd boot from your Windows installation CD and do an "upgrade in place" repair of the Windows installation on the SATA drive. That should make it bootable, but you will have to reinstall the Windows updates. Google Upgrade in place for the MS KB article on how to do that if you haven't done it recently.

7. erunyon

No, after 5 hours, did not work.

Followed directions to the letter, still missing OS ....

I hate computers....

8. Nogami

Nogami Registered Member

9. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I would put the IDE drive back boot
    - shutdown add the SATA drive
    - install the SATA drivers
    - reboot into windows should add the drive a empty storage
    - reboot from the recovery disk ATI
    - clone the disk IDE to SATA
    - shutdown
    - remove the IDE drive
    - change the bios
    - reboot

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello erunyon,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please take a look at this article for instructions on transferring your system from IDE to SATA (and vice versa).

Also please notice that Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and mass storage devices drivers. Acronis Universal Restore allows automatic or manual selection of the HAL and mass storage device drivers to fit the target hardware. So, if you would like to save time and skip the process described in the mentioned article you can use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation with Acronis Universal Restore.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

11. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Not necessarily true. I have done a couple of clones of XP from PATA to SATA2 using the TI 9 Home clone utility, and it worked fine.

F.

12. erunyon

I gave up. Waaaaayyy too much time on this project. TI 10 goes into the dust bin with valuable lesson learned.

Just installed Vista with no problems, other than having to re-install about 25 programs I use regularyly and patch them all (another 8 hour task).

Thanks for the replies.

BTW, I was right... see the acronis support try to get back into my pockets?

13. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Any time you attempt to change the configuration (IDE to Sata for example ) Windows may not boot and you may have to do a repair install.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.