Migrate Easy V7.0 - I'm doing it wrong

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by philzale, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philzale

philzale Registered Member

I hope someone can help me out and that this is somewhat simple. I'm clearly doing something wrong, or missing a step, but I just can't figure out what it is.

I want to clone my WinXP Pro SP3 bootable 30G *IDE* drive (only IDE device in system, jumpered as slave 'cuz it won't work if it's jumpered as master <weird?>) to a 250G *SATA* drive. The system is working fine running off this 30G drive.

I've downloaded and installed Migrate Easy and am running it in the 15 day trial mode. I've done a "disk clone" from the 30G to the 250G using the "automatic" option. The first time I did this, everything appeared to be successful right through the power down. After powering down, I powered back up, used my BIOS option to select the 250G drive as the boot device, and got a "Boot Failure - Press Any Key to Continue" message. As far as I can tell, the only way out of this is to power down/up.

OK did that. Realized I had neglected to physically remove the (now old) 30G from the system. Did that, rebooted, selected 250G as boot device, same thing. :'(

OK, realized I had cloned over an existing partition. Thought, that's ok from what I read, but maybe I read it wrong. Put the 30G back in, powered up, selected the 30G, booted successfully.

Using MMC console, I went in and deleted the partition from the 250G. There was only one partition. Looked at MMC ... now says 232.88GB unallocated. Cool, that's what I expected. Ran Migrate Easy again. No errors, warnings, or other not cool things. Pressed "any key" when it told me to and it powered down.

Pulled 30G out of the system, again. Powered up, again. Selected 250G as boot device, again. "Boot Failure - Press any Key to continue", again. o_O

Put 30G back in, powered up, selected 30G to boot, booted and I'm now running off the 30G. Looking at the 250G in MMC, it's still "232.88GB unallocated". That explains why it's not booting. Doesn't explain what I'm doing wrong though.

What am I missing here? Anyone?

Thanking you kindly and offering a virtual cup of Starbucks, Caribou, Dunkin Donuts or Panera Bread coffee to anyone who can help. Sorry it can't be a physical cup.

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.