Migrate Easy - unable to boot XP from cloned disk

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by contractors, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. contractors

contractors Registered Member

Hardware:

- 2 yr old Toshiba Satellite with original 80GB ATA drive (no known problems)
    - new Samsung 160GB ATA in a new external case and attached to Toshiba via USB 2.0

Software:

XP Pro SP2

Goal:

To clone 80GB->160GB and then end up with only the 160GB in the laptop (the 80GB would be stored away as emergency backup only)

Background:

I have previously tried to clone the 80GB-160GB using Ghost. The cloning process appeared to work but when I inserted the 160GB into the laptop and rebooted the system would never boot from the new disk.

I then tried Migrate Easy and again cloned the 80GB-160GB (the cloning process is much faster, by the way) but again when I replaced the 80GB with the new 160GB I could not boot the laptop.

I then read where your forum material which stated that if XP "sees the new drive" before or during the cloning process then that could be problematic for what I am trying to do so I did the following:

1. Booted with original 80GB in the laptop
    2. Attached the 160GB via USB, so the XP system could "see" it
    3. Using XP Disk Administrator I deleted the partition from the 160GB drive
    4. I rebooted (so 80GB still in laptop, and the unallocated 160GB drive is still attached via USB and no drive letter is assigned to it)
    5. I ran Migrate Easy using the "auto" wizard and cloned from 80GB->160GB
    6. The cloning process completed and powered off.
    7. I removed the 80GB and placed it "on the shelf"
    8. I installed the 160GB into the laptop and reboot, but the system would not boot (no splash message, just blackness)

According to my understanding of procedures written in this forum I should have been OK. I then reinstalled my original 80GB and rebooted, and then I used regedit to take a look at my MountedDevices entries, and they are as shown in the following snapshot:

http://4sale.org/acronis/regedit.gif

Note that on the above /MountedDevices list most of the entries don't represent real devices (the laptop only has a C: drive plus a D:DVD drive, and no floppy). I hesitate to make any changes to the registry, nor even am I sure that that is related to the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.