Migrate Easy Personal 7

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by rsm, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rsm

rsm Registered Member

Hi

I have two problems.

1) When trying to use manual resize the software would not let me increase the size of the primary partition. I was transferring from a 80Gb drive to 160Gb. The software in the end would only allow proportional sizing. Why?

2) After allowing porportional sizing on booting my new drive both Norton SW2004 and Norton Internat Security 2005 would not work and NIS2005 would not allow me to re-activate the software.

Any answers.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rsm,

Thank you for choosing Acronis System Transfer Software.

Could you please send screenshtos of all your actions in wizards to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread? Also please create Acronis Report in the way described at Acronis Help Post and send to us. This will allows us to investigate the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. rsm

rsm Registered Member

Hi

I have already submitted screenshots and a report to tech support dept ref number 226120 (Alexey Popov) dealing.

They have replied regarding question 2 saying that it is because the cluster size has changed from 16kb to 32kb that is causing the problem. They advised re-installing the NIS2005 software. This did not resolve the problem with activation, I have now passed this onto Symantec.

With regard to question 1, tech support are still working on it and have yet to come up with an answer.

It should be noted that I am now using True Image 8 (trial version) since I thought that there might be a problem with EMP7, but it is acting in the same way, therfore both have problems.

4. Acronis Support

Hello rsm,

I have read your correspondence with Alexey and am sorry for some vagueness of his explanations. Please let me explain how the resizing option works in Acronis True Image and Acronis Migrate Easy (both programs do it in the same way). I will explain it using your partition layout (shown on screenshots you provided).

You need to increase the partition C that is why you need to have unallocated space right after this partition C. Next to the partition C you have the partition E.

Assume that you wish to decrease E partition to give space for C. In this case you need to move the first border (the left one) to the right with the mouse. Or you may move the end border to the left but then you will have to move the E partition to get the unallocated space before it.

Now let's assume that you do not want to resize your E partition and want to give the space to C partition from F partition. In this case you need to get unallocated space between E and F partitions moving the left border of partition F to the right. After that you need to move the whole partition E to the right and you will get the unallocated space before the partition E.

If you have any further questions concerning this case please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. rsm

rsm Registered Member

Hi

Thanks for the reply, Alexey also sent me a reply explaining things in better detail than the help manuals. I have now resized the C: drive.

However please explain the following,

I can format with fdisk and get C:=50Gb, E:=55Gb, F:=55Gb total 160GB which is the size of the drive.

True Image gives after resize C:42.7Gb, E:=55Gb, F:=55Gb total 152.7Gb

Where has the other 7.3Gb gone and how do I get it back to be able to have a C: drive of 50Gb.

As you may have seen from the screenshots True Image assigns the C: drive as 38.7Gb and the the other two drives as 57Gb each = 152.7Gb before anything is done to them.

Please explain

thanks

6. Acronis Support

Hello rsm,

There is no problem at all. The discrapency is resulted from the way 1Gb is computed by different software. Acronis True Image calculates 1Gb=1024*1024Kb, while fdisk calculates 1Gb=1000*1000Kb. In your case 152.7*1.024*1.024=160Gb as it should be.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. rsm

rsm Registered Member

Hi

Having now managed to re-partition and cloned to new drive, why does a white blocked bar run across the black screen just before the windows boot logo appears.

What is the system doing that it wasn't doing before the new drive was attached after being cloned.

8. Acronis Support

Hello rsm,

Do I get you right that you mean the progress bar similar to one that appears in Windows 2000? If so this bar exists in Windows XP however it should not be visible. Do you find any delay with the boot process now in comparison with the boot process before cloning?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

9. rsm

rsm Registered Member

Hi

Yes I think you are correct that this is a progress bar of some description, I have seen it on other computers.

In answer to you question the boot sequence is slower after cloning, but not much.

As I think I said this question was asked on the forum but not answered.

What is now causing the progress bar and will it continue or is there something I need to do with the cloning process.

10. Acronis Support

Hello rsm,

The cloning process itself was ok and you did everything right. As I said before, this bar exists in Windows XP but usually the boot process runs so fst that you don't notice it. This is a part of normal boot process and it will not result in any problems with Windows or any other applications performance.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.