Midori

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by vasa1, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Ocky had started a thread a while ago here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=285803&highlight=midori. But I'd like to have one that deals specifically with Midori on Linux.

It's currently on 0.4.6 but the Ubuntu Software Center has 0.4.3 which I installed. I'm trying it out again after quite a while and the improvements are significant (0.4.3).

It opens most things without issue except askubuntu.com which it does open but then after a little hin und her goes crazy with CPU usage hitting 100% and staying there just like Epiphany did. Google Drive doesn't like it either and calls it unsupported. There's a GUI to change the user agent but I won't bother since I'm keeping Chrome for all things Google.

AdBlock Plus type filter syntax is supported with two filters installed by default. Custom style sheets can also be used.

Overall, I feel it's more customizable than Epiphany and quite a few distros deal with support in their forums. The devs also seems far more accessible.

(If anyone hears an explosion, that's me trying to build 0.4.6 without parental supervision.)

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

it's the default browser on Bodhi Linux.

pretty rough around the edges if you ask me.
    compared to the Big 3 anyway. ;)

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Eh. Seems like all of those "other" sub 2% market share browser all suffer from one or two massive flaws. I'm barely tempted to move to Firefox despite it's massive improvements, something like Midori just isn't appealing.

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Moderately "rough around the edges" and moderately flawed software helps (or forces) me to learn stuff ;) and reminds me that I'm using free software ;) ;)

5. Hungry Man

Chromium and Firefox are just as free though.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

What about the other two points?

BTW, I gave up on trying to build Midori. First it seemed I needed valac. That done, it then said I needed something like msgfmt which wasn't available via a simple apt-get. Maybe I'd have to download it from some place or the other. Too much trouble.

There's a site called ubuntu-tweaks.com that packages a lot of newer versions of things. I'll take a look there.

7. Hungry Man

Well if you're interested in learning I understand, of course. I just can't see any reason to use it full time.

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I want to "organize" things:
    • Chrome for Gmail and GDrive and online financial transactions.
    • Firefox for most other browsing with a lot of stuff "blocked" so I don't waste time waiting for garbage to download.
    • A browser to view pages that break with Firefox (because of script blocking or whatever) or to view images because I block most of them in Firefox. Also, with this browser, I'll just delete everything at the end of a session.
    • Seamonkey for editing crap out of html pages that I want to keep on my hard disk.
    That's my thinking for now.

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Spent quite some time following what appears to be outdated instructions regarding ad blocking. Anyway, finally figured things out. The relevant file is this: ~/.config/midori/extensions/libadblock.so/custom.list

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

It's not just askubuntu.com but a few more sites and it's not just me: https://answers.launchpad.net/midori/ question/160777

The solution proposed is to turn off box-shadows. Let's see.

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Giving up for now. I still see CPU usage getting out of hand and I can't relate it to any specific event. It's a pity because Midori is snappy, and has some features, minor ones, which I wish Chrome had. First, dark pages don't flash white while loading. Caret browsing is available. Pages with "next" at the bottom can be flipped by pressing the space bar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.