MicroWorld Free AntiVirus (MWAV) free for 1 month

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by IBK, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IBK

IBK AV Expert

FYI: I just found out that they offer free virus detection AND CLEANING until ~15th February. MWAV does not require installation and can be used with any existing antivirus software installed. (MicroWorld Free AntiVirus Toolkit Utility (MWAV) uses the KAV engine).
    http://www.mwti.net/products/mwav/mwav.asp

2. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Cool. Thanks very much for posting that pointer.

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Heard about this e-scan AV, and out of curiosity, I d/l it after briefly filled out a form. Although its vendor claimed no installtion required, it did install all files into C:/Program Files/, and installed few new drivers, modified several existing ones, added some startup entries, just to name few. After this, it scanned the system, did not take too long, 5-6 minutes for 7GB . And found three spyware/adware which I am not aware of, and it's a total surprise. I have prevx1, AVG AS plus on guard, nothing has been spotted by them. e-scan automatically cleanned them w/o revealing the exact locations of these infections, during the process, it attempted to change my search page setting to google. All these activities made my feet feel much colder. Luckily the vendor did a honorable thing , requiring pc to reboot to complete installation. All these are performed w/ Deep Freeze's frozen mode, I know exactly the right thing to do next. Reboot, and all these nightmares are behind me forever. I am not an AV expert, I shall leave these to them for interpretation. Oh, my goodness, what an adventure!:p

4. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

hi peerman. it looks as if you downloaded e scan av . if you scroll down to the last download on the same page you will see mwav. as far as i can see the only thing that is put into a folder is the kav definitions etc. local disk C > bases. i dont have anything added to the start up.
    you dont need to fill out any details either just click submit and it will go to the downloads page where mwav is at the bottom of the download list.

5. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

6. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Seems to add these files/folders?

MWAV.jpg

7. solarpowered candle

its a great ondemand scanner if you dont run with an AV. Shocker of a price to buy.

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The $99 price is put there so as to "direct" customers who don't know better to buy the eScan Internet Security Suite. I do remember that MWTI was not too happy about MWAV scanning and cleaning for free since it was reducing sales for their commercial versions.

9. annesue

annesue Registered Member

$99.99.
    It's way expensive! More expensive than eCAN. No way! Why?

10. annesue

annesue Registered Member

I just remember that it used to be less than $10 ($9.99?).
    It was a good second AV for NOD32 users who want to use Kaspersky.:(

11. Firecat

MWAV used to be free once. Then it became $9.99 and then $99.99. I believe it was a sales team decision in order to boost sales of the commercial eScan editions.

12. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

$99.99 I think must have been a typo, 450 rupees is $10.15 o_O

13. solarpowered candle

the 4.7 was great as it had ability to scan and cure and with a little tweeking one could update also. However i think some one must have let them know of this as they soon introduced the next version which was not capable of this and then reacted by raising the price in short successive leaps to the current $99.USD . Also they wanted e scan sales . apparantly the same MWAV engine is in the escan current version for around $50. I find their whole approach rather weird.
    There are false positives with the current MWAV so one needs to be careful with setting it to scan and delete. (more their spyware detection) perhaps set it to scan only.
    I still have a 4.7 which both downloads updates and cures . not sure if there is a lot of real diffirence in its ability to the current new version.

14. Firecat

The Indian price for the commerical eScan editions is lower than the price charged to the rest of the world. My license cost Rs. 2003 (which amounts to about $45) for eScan ISS in 2004 while the price charged to the rest of the world was USD 58.95. A similar thing may be true for the MWAV tool as well.

I checked the Indian MicroWorld site (http://www.mspl.net) and saw that the price for MWAV 8.0 is Rs.4350 which is 98 USD. In actuality though it is lesser than that if you contact the company directly and purchase.

15. IBK

IBK AV Expert

KAV S.O.S. costs about the same (10 license bundle).

16. dan_maran

Check the price in your cart. :/

http://xs311.xs.to/xs311/07041/eScan01.png.xs.jpg

17. Firecat

18. dan_maran

No that is where I got the first price I posted from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.