Microsoft's Windows NT Security Framework - Not Being Enforced By Vendors?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DasFox, Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Ok here's something I wasn't aware of, 'Microsoft's Windows NT Security Framework' is not being enforced by Vendors and they are breaking this, and well I guess MS hasn't put their foot down, so what does this all mean and say?

Read what AppGuard has to say over the issue:

One of the AppGuard protection features prevents guarded applications from writing/altering "protected resources", such as anything in the Windows directory. According to Microsoft's Windows NT Security Framework, an application should not perform write operations into the Windows and Program Files directories and all their children directories. Microsoft itself hasn't always adhered to this. AppGuard, by default, merely enforces this, and makes no application specific exceptions. However, a user can define one that AppGuard allows. I do not know the idiosyncrasies of Firefox and other applications. We generally encourage folk to contact vendors asking if these are normal behaviors. Ultimately, no one can answer this better. These vendors sometimes alter their product to conform to the NT framework after someone points out a violation: MS Messenger, Adobe Acrobat, Apple QuickTime.

So, interesting words from AppGuard, makes me now think should we all use AppGuard because of this adherence, or are other applications make enforcement of this too, or just nice words of propaganda?

THANKS

2. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Hello any thoughts here? o_O

THANKS

3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I'm still waiting on some replies here, this is a great topic of security discussion and I'm surprised there are no responses at all to this... :(

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

It might help to generate more interest if you can provide a link ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.