Microsoft's RegClean

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I used on Win98. I liked a little more control and info than it gave me so I moved on to regcleaner.
    I'm not sure that it will work on XP. What do you think? :)

3. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Not 100% positive Ice, but I do have it and have run it once (on a previous install). It's pretty simple, but I don't think you get to look at or choose what it deletes. Might be safer with something like regseeker.
    Brad.

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i read the reviews and it will work on XP, and it looks like it keeps backups in it's folder too, it doesn't cover the whole registry, and, as you mentioned, it doesn't really tell you what it has removed. but, it might pickup afew things that JVi6 and CC (which i use) miss. i'd like to use it too, do you think you would try it if end up useing it and it does find things missed by JVi6 and CC?

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i have used regseeker on afew different installs and it has always removed imported registry entries, so i always have to put the backups back. when you use regseeker do you let it remove all it finds? or do you go through each entery and only remove the green results, leaving the ones in red? thanks.

EDIT i misspelled important above i wrote "imported" instead of important, sorry :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Give us a report if you use it and find benefits.

7. bigbuck

Only used it once...let it remove all....all seemed fine, until a few days later I went to burn a cd (with NTI) and it had killed it. Just reinstated the backup and it worked again. All that it actually removed (in total) was about 500kb....so it was not really like it was cleaning a big heap of clutter..

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

after what Buck just said i'm a little hesitant now. i promised myself if there were any bad reports i wouldnt use it, so there's probably only about a 10% chance i'll use it now. but, if i do i'll let you know for sure. thank you both for you help :)

9. bigbuck

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

it looks like most people like it best. maybe i'll have one more go, (regseeker). i'll just have to go through everything it finds to check and see if it can be removed or not. probably the way it should be done no matter which cleaner you use.

i read the whole thread, the one you linked too above, and just realised you had trouble with CD burning with regseeker and not RegClean. so maybe i'll still give RegClean a go. that is right isn't it? thanks. :)

11. bigbuck

Yes, but regclean (which was recommended to me by a techie @ work) I don't think even lets you see what it is deleting!! I can't remember for sure... I have also read some bad things about regclean messing up systems. Have a backup image before you try anything!

12. bigbuck

Reg clean text file for you.

Attached Files:

13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, Buck :) but, now im back to not being so sure again LOL . i have downloaded it, maybe i'll run it once, and if it makes a backup, if it does i'll just leave it at that for 2/3 weeks and see what happens. if it doesn't make a backup, i'll do a restore and get rid of it.

14. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

yep, i wondered what people do with the red enteries for a while. i'll go and give it a go. thanks :)

15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just installed and ran RegClean. it fixed 35.6kb's worth of reg enteries. you can have a look at what it has done if you make a copy of the backed-up reg file, which is in the RegClean folder, then renaming it to a txt file. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.