Microsoft's head of Windows leaving company

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tgell, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Very Interesting!

Article

Also here.

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

You're not kidding, that is interesting. I do wonder if he really had trouble collaborating with senior executives or just one senior, that one being Ballmer. If so, he's not the only one, as the article points out.

3. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

The Official Microsoft PR Line is here.
    Steve Ballmer letter to MS Team on Sinofsky departure
    Steve Sinofsky letter to MS explaining his departure
    Meet Julie Larson-Green, the new head of the MS Windows Team

4. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

thank the lord he is going at least we won't have a major disaster like Windows 8 again

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

You do realize he wasn't the only one involved with Windows 8? Chances are fairly high that Steve Ballmer had a lot more to do with the direction of Windows 8 than anyone else did, considering he's the big man on campus. Whether Windows 8 succeeds or fails, the direction of Windows seems to be set in stone. MS has to succeed in the mobile market with phones and tablets, or else they are likely royally screwed. Windows 8 is a hell of a gamble.

6. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

ah ok thanks for the clarification didnt know that

7. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

MS is a lready screwed because of Windows 8. I'm not a fanboy, hater or anything else, I had machines running MAC OS, Windows and Linux. I consider my self a very open minded person and I try everything it's new on the market the next day but Windows 8 is too much and Windows 8 already is a lost bet.

VISTA failure was a nice bedtime story compared to Windows 8. Manufacturers and resellers avoid Windows 8, companies refuse the upgrade to Windows 8. End users are watching closely the Windows 8 story and since my work involves marketing & research I can tell you that the positive numbers are pretty bad and stories like this make Windows 8 look worse day by day.

8. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

There have been many comments made in the past about in-fighting and how teams do not work together in Microsoft.
    Windows 8, Metro, Xbox and Office have all had to work together towards the recent launches, combined with the fact that it has been noted in the past that Steve Sinofsky has not been a good team player, it does not surprise me that someone has decided he is not a good fit to continue to lead the Windows Division.

The head of Windows Phone 7 was shifted away after it was moth-balled for Windows Phone 8, so it is plausible that Steve Sinofsky has had similar discussions due to failures.

We can't rule out that Windows 8 has had internal difficulties during development, maybe its development friction with the Office division, maybe internal milestones were missed, maybe its not actually to the spec that was originally promised to Steve Balmer, which would fall under the responsibility of Steve Sinofsky.

9. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

10. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Or perhaps it's Ballmer who needs to go. Beyond this article, numerous times it has been said that he is generally greeted with rolling eyes. His internal pow-wows with teams are noted for causing, for a lack of a better way to put it, "WTF" looks around the room and not because he just had a genius moment. Without a leader who is respected by those under him or her, who can stop the internal bickering by bringing his or her team together and placing team members in the right places based on individual strengths and weaknesses, of course the team will fall apart and have issues. And, of course, when that happens the project/mission/whatever suffers.

I'm not saying Sinofsky didn't have issues and maybe didn't need to be where he was. But if Windows 8 fails, which so far it's not exactly "hot", then Sinofsky alone can't be put to the stake all by his lonesome.

11. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Metro's mother to replace defenestrated Windows boss Sinofsky
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/13/who_is_new_larson_green/

12. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

She was also responsible for the "experience" of early Internet Explorer versions..which really will not fill some folks with confidence :D

13. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  14. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

15. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

I's generally easier to collaborate and relate with women than with men.

16. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Not exactly in my experience; but to each his/her own :)

17. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Articles are popping up now referring to this "lukewarm" ((that's usually a nice way of saying poor)) reception. If they're even half accurate, polls being polls of course, then I don't think that Start button will make much difference. It's looking like Vista again, though instead of loads of problems, people just aren't wanting 8. Of course they seem to already be finger pointing at everyone but themselves. This time hardware vendors are taking the heat for "not delivering".

18. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Not really. Egos and personalities play a much bigger role in the success or failure of a team.

19. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

100% agreed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.