Microsoft's biggest fear. Here comes Ylmf OS!

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Yup, it's Ubuntu with XP look !

Microsofts biggest fear - Windows XP or Ylmf OS

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Might as well, everything else is made in China. They might as well have the software jobs too.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

New year new linux "threat" to Microsoft.

That being said, nice work on the replica.

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I think most Windows users, rather than having a sort of XP 'clone' interface, would choose Windows 7 and fork out for it. With Ylmf they would still need to use some linux commands, besides XP is getting a little 'long in the tooth'.
    I would definitely rather pay for Windows 7 if I were a (Chinese) Windows user.

5. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

What a quote from Bill Gates in the referenced article:
    Wow!

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

That's what I always said. Why Windows is not really fighting pirated software and only misering rich people in USA and Europe? Because 500 million Windows users is still 500 million Windows users, whether they pay or not. Make it too hard for them, and they'll become 500 million non-Windows users.
    Mrk

7. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

My Dad would love that distro. Too bad there's not an English translation at present. He was using XP (default look) just before I switched him to Karmic.

Obviously, it's just a wallpaper, theme and a menu application that gives it that look. Wish I could get my hands on them.

Later...

8. EllySonB

EllySonB Registered Member

Yup! Indeed, the screens seems even better than XP, some little crispier details here and there, some nicer colors.
    If the principle itself of copying so closely a proprietary OS's look&feel is questionable, it sure remains a nice example of the flexibility of the GUI customization that is possible in Linux world.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I have never understood people making one OS look like a different OS.
    the themes that i have seen that mimic the looks of another OS always look tacky. Kinda like tacky bodykits people put on small cars such as Peugoet 206's

You dont expect two cars to be exactly the same inside. the have similar functions such as stereo,heating controls,windscreen wipes,lights,gear stick etc but each car is different.

Desktop environments provide similar features but look different same as in the example above for cars. you have a file manager,access to programs,a desktop with icons and you have a notification section showing various things such as network status,clock,sound,update notification etc.

Users can easily get accustomed to a new desktop environment.

the other thing is that people think linux is hard to setup.
    But then again if the same user had to setup windows from scratch how would they fair getting everything working? probably the same as Linux. once setup ubuntu is as easy if not easier than windows for most users.

10. guest

guest Guest

I don't really think this one has any chance against Windows 7.

11. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

OK. I downloaded and tried this Ubuntu variant. Nothing to write home about, really, though the theme color and icons are an exact match for XP, that's for sure. I "borrowed" them to put on my Dad's computer the next time I'm over there. BTW, the screenshot at their web site is misleading slightly. The menu in the version I tried doesn't look anything like what was shown (just a regular gnome menu is what I saw). Obviously at one time they used Gnomenu (which they used in the screenshot and which has a choice that mimics XP almost exactly). Yeah, my curiosity got the best of me. Also, there's a workaround for the language thingy being only Chinese.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

Getting ready to try Kahel OS (an Arch offshoot) here shortly.

Later...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.