Microsoft's antipiracy tool phones home daily

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Franklin, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Yeah I'm quite satisfied with Windows XP, but not with the company that makes it. Because Microsoft appears to be a topsy-turvy company to me. They can make good products but always seem to lose out on SECURITY.

And I learned of this WGA issue only after reading several sites raising concerns over its functions.

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well, I agree - this "tool" is spyware IMO. Security vendors will not detect it because of legal risks, however, if every single security company does detect it, M$ cannot sue them all and hope to win. At least Symantec or McAfee will kick them where it hurts most.

While I have not come across WGA yet, I don't like Microsoft's antics as of late.

3. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

nadirah

I see, but on your sig it says "Exploits, security problems, spyware... the list goes on. Get other Operating Systems"

That's why i wondered why you still use XP, and are you thinking of getting another one yourself, if so which one ?

StevieO

4. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

My Hard Drive: 80GB
    Used up: 11GB

I think I can divide it into several partitons if I have the space available, XP is on my primary or should I say main partition. Next partition I think its linux or mac, I'm not sure if a mac OS from the delicious apple can work on a Intel processor...
    If the situation merits it, I shall blast off the primary partition you know what I mean. But research comes first before that.
    My comp is pre-built by an OEM so I don't know if I can or should put in another hard drive.

5. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    nadirah, to test if your computer can run, lets say Ubuntu linux just get a live-CD and shove it in the CDROM player, boot from it and you will know if your hardware is compatible, nothing will be installed on your computer, it will run from the CDROM-drive.
    I see you have enough space on your harddrive and when you're able to install it you can repartition that drive anyway you want, the installer has a feature for that.

The sweet part of this all is it won't be phoning home and it's way out of this microsoft prisoncell they try to create.

This could explain what's behind all this constant checking;

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060702-7178.html

Lamehand

6. doug6949

doug6949 Registered Member

WGA may encourage piracy as users begin to feel more secure with cracks than legal software.

MS probably already knows this but feels there is more profit in data mining among normal citizens than trying to curtail hackers. How then could WGA be anything but spyware?

7. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    I was reading a thread on DSLreports when i saw this link, this is what WGA will lead up to in the near future, and it's not a pretty sight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGSCB#Curtained_Memory

Yes, you will be allowed to pay for all this crap, but don't ever think you own it.
    And this scheme will not be implemented to improve safety or security on the average system,you can do that now with what's available, but to drain your wallet from hard earned cash.

Lamehand
    (running of to the computerstore to buy the last pentium 4. :) )

8. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

It just goes to show you should not trust windows update facility.
    I didnt and thankfully I dont have windows WGA on my PC.

9. dog

dog Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.