Microsoft Word - Yet another serious Exploit

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by HandsOff, Jun 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I read that recently Word was exploited with a vulnerability that can infect a fully patched system and lead to infection with a backdoor trojan. Read about it in May 19 article: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1965042,00.asp

I can't believe anyone still uses Word or Internet Explorer, but since they do, this is of concern.

I also saw a report of a zero-day vulnerability on NOD32's webpage but it is unclear to me if it is the same vulnerability or a new one. They do have a removal tool, so it may be the cure.

This particular infection involves a backdoor trojan with rootkit capabilities. The vector was a .doc file attached to an email

- HandsOff

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Seems like it only gets through e-mail, this method of propagation is so common. Those who open e-mail messages with .doc attachments and download the attachment without thinking twice are sure gonna feel the pinch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.