Microsoft Windows Xp 64-bit

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by DVD+R, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I have to retract a statemrnt I made a while back, that FirstDefense-ISR will not! run on 64-bit systems. Having installed Xp Professional 64-bit yesterday, initially I was confronted with * Disk write error* when I installed FD-ISR and tried to boot-back to my Primary snapshot which was Vista Ultimate. Clearly something went wrong here, and the entire partition was deleted somehow :eek:

Today I reformatted my drive and did a clean installation of XP Pro 64-bit Only, FD-ISR installed without a glitch,and created secondary, and Backup Baseline snapshot. It seams to be running just fine, However I am hesitant to create an Empty snapshot to install Vista,as its taken a few hours to setup my system again. This may not be the case for Everyone, but I do Advise *CAUTION* If installing Vista or Vice Versa on 64-bit systems with FirstDefense-ISR and then choosing to install the Secondary OS.

Hope this little bit of Information will Prevent Pain-staking situations like what I had, for Others. :thumb:

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Thanks for the heads up.

Pete

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

DVD+R,
    Thanks for the warning. My hardware is 64-bit ready, but I still use WinXPproSP2-32 and my MS Office 2000 is seven years old. :D

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Many thanks for the info. DVD+R. Have been hard pressed to find XP 64 compatible security software. You may have just added another piece to the puzzle. :D

5. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

*NEWSFLASH!*

Now I have No Idea what caused this, but it seems the Culprit would be a Registry Cleaner, but as I have 3 I cant say which, but I'll guess at RegFix Mantra :mad:

I'd ran nearly all day with no problems at all, and as Mentioned above had 3 Snapshots,all Nice and Cozy :cautious: After doing some initiallt disk cleaning to rid it of crap and junk, I ran the Reg Cleaners, rebooted and :eek: *NTLDR is corrupted, the system cant boot* appears on screen. A reinstallation was attempted, it got to the point where it had copied the files for installation,and was rebooting in 15 seconds ( you know the bit I'm talking about right? :cautious: ) Anyway! it happened again :blink: NTLDR is corrupted, the system cant boot :mad: Be careful guys, I'm nearly at wits end with this :p

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

There are strong warning about being careful with registry cleaners and FDISR. I've run Regsupreme Pro from Macecraft without any problems. But others have caused issues.

Pete

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

DVD+R,
    Normally a restore of an image or archive would have fixed any registry problem.
    I would have at least one of them before running any registry cleaners or at least a registry backup provided by the registry cleaner.
    It's a known fact that some registry cleaners corrupt FDISR, so an Image is always safer.

Besides that, I keep away from WinVISTA and WinXPproSP2-64bit. Too much trouble. I never enjoy an OS, old or new, I enjoy the softwares that work under my OS.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  8. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Reg cleaners and 64 bit are a tricky mix. The reading I have done at least concerning XP 64 and the registry say there are actually 2 separate ones. :eek:

9. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Maybe it is eventually better not to run any reg.cleaners,at ars technica forums they strongly warns against using it,the performance benefit in any test they did was never substantiated,and if there are any,it never outweight the danger of screwing up the registry.

10. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.