Microsoft® Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hadi, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hadi

hadi Guest

2. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

I have been using it for about a month and a half now and i think it is fantastic. Even though i still have others installed, i rely on this program mostly for my regular and on demand scans.

It has an excellent detection capability, its quick and i have yet to have a false positive. (which i have received with every other Spyware product except this and spysweeper).

I would highly recommend this product.

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I have a Giant license, before it was purchased by MS so I am still using Giant.

At the time I first purchased Giant, I was using Norton with a firewall. At that time, Giant would find some malware and tracking cookies (that Ad-aware didn't catch) from time to time that got past Norton. After, MS, purchased, I noticed:

1) Giant would no longer catch any cookies
    2) Updates came more infrequently
    3) It no longer flagged anything

Subsequently, I re-engineered my front-line security to:

1) Kaspersky AV 4.5 (not 5.0) which pretty much catches all malware
    2) ProcessGuard 3.0
    3) RegDefend
    4) Prevx

This seems to be a very strong defense and none of my backup software catches anything anymore including Ewido and TDS-3. I no longer run Giant in real-time and very rarely on-demand. While Ad-aware will still catch any tracking cookies, Giant doesn't do this or anything else. So I judge Giant to be superfluous on my machine and will not renew the license with MS when the current license elapses. I may look at CounterSpy which has access to all of MS AS's signatures (via a cross-licensing agreement) as wll as its own database which I would guess still includes the cookie scans.

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.