Microsoft warns of Word attacks

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by JRViejo, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Computerworld Article by Gregg Keizer.​

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

This is why people use programs like Open Office. :p

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Why? Reduced functionality for what? Lower amount of published exploits means it's more secure right? :D

The only reason I ever used OO was because it was free, I replaced it with '07 when I got a really cheap steal discount.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

:thumb: :cool:

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

No, it's not. Most people using OpenOffice (or Microsoft Office, for that matter) aren't even aware of what security vulnerabilities are, or that vulnerabilities of any type even exist in software.

Most people simply make a choice: I won't use illegal software, because OpenOffice is all I need. Others, simply cannot afford, due to legal reasons, to use illegal software, and if they can't afford the legitimate versions, they use open source software, due to licensing nature.

I compare OpenOffice vs Microsoft Office to GIMP vs Photoshop. If you truly need it for your work, there's no comparison. I can do things with Photoshop I cannot with GIMP. I can do things with GIMP that I can do with Photoshop. I do things with Photoshop that GIMP won't even be able to load, because it lacks features.

I'm pretty sure those who truly make a massive use of Office applications truly know the differences between one and the other.

Saying that people use one or the other due to security/other vulnerability knowledge isn't very realistic. ;)

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You got that right.... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.