Microsoft VirtualPC 2007 reviews, alternatives?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by wearetheborg, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

You can monitor an install in a VM with ZSoft Uninstaller and manually grab any droppers through ZSoft's log or use the free search utility Agent Ransack to search for all files by date created.

Both methods are a bit more tedious than just searching through the sandbox but is an alternative.

Once you grab any droppers quite easy to drag and drop from VM to host.

I did try out Virtualbox but no drag and drop put me off and I think I was too used to using MS Virtual PC and it just seemed easier for me to use.

3. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

I am using VPC 2007 SP1 x64 on Windows 7 x64. I prefer it because it is faster than WinXP Mode (conclusion after test on my computer). It integrates well and offers plenty of options including save, discard, merge changes after each session. In VPC, after OS boot, you can install its add-on, which allows you to drag and drop files in both direction (Host --> Guest as well as Guest --> Host). Boot from bootable ISO/CD-ROM is very easy. You can save session (without merging) at the end of each session for later use. As session is saved in separate file in same folder, it does not cause any problem.
    In VPC, the only missing thing is USB. Every other thing is better in it.
    Other alternatives I have tested are VirtualBox 3.2.8.64453 and VMware Player 3.0.1 Build 227600, but personally, I like VPC 2007 and am using it for last 2 year (used it on my previous OS (WinXP) too).

4. wearetheborg

Can you elaborate on that? What add on is this? How are add-ons installed? Does the addon need to be installed in each start of the VPC?

I'm confused, I have XP installed on computer, and within it VirtualPC 2007 is starting; where is a boot from CD/ISO coming in?

5. wearetheborg

Is a license required to run an OS inside VirtualPC 2007?

6. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

1. After OS installation, go to Action --> Install or update Virtual Machine Additions. Install it --> reboot --> save it as final image. You will not need to install at each start. Add-ons will let you use your mouse transparently between host and guest OS as well as let you drag and drop files in both directions.

2. If you have bootable ISO, you can also check that with VPC. Simply go to CD --> Capture ISO image to select an ISO image and boot from it for testing purpose. You will also see an option in CD menu "Use Physical Drive x". If you put a CD in your CD/DVD-ROM and that CD is bootable, you can also use that to install/boot. Great feature for testing Live CD/ISO.

3. Yes. License is required to install an OS in Virtual PC. If you are using Windows 7 (I know you do not, an example only), you can use your old Windows XP license for this purpose.

If you want an option to save, discard, merge changes after each use, you can configure your installed OS settings to ask on each shutdown.

7. wearetheborg

Thanks...where does one get add-ons to Microsoft VirtualPC 2007 ? Just through Virtual Machine Additions?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

If I'm not mistaken, you could not use an OEM version of XP for the VM, you would have to use an off-the-shelf version.

Acadia

9. wearetheborg

PS: Malware cant infect the virtual PC unless I do "save as final image" right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.