Microsoft Update issue

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by layman, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. layman

layman Registered Member

As of this morning, none of my machines running NOD32 was able to access the Microsoft Update site, receiving this message:

==============
    Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer Downloads website.
    ==============

Now that the problem has persisted for some hours, I began to be suspicious and tried a machine running Avira Pro. No problem there.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? It's occurred both on machines where Monday's emergency update has been applied, and another yet to be updated.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

and you get that info when you access MS update via IE ?

if you disable Eset can you access the update site?

3. layman

layman Registered Member

Yeah, all machines are running IE 8 under XP SP3. Disabling Eset does not clear the problem, but it's happening only on the machines with NOD32.

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

5. layman

layman Registered Member

Turning notifications off (originally set to 'critical') has no effect.

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

7. layman

layman Registered Member

Disabling that changes nothing. By the way, I've checked the User Agent string and all machines produce identical returns (identifying "IE8"). Rebooting the router, etc. has done nothing. All machines are running the XP firewall.

8. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

9. siljaline

As Cudni eluded to, adding Microsoft to the IE Trusted sites Zones helps with Windows Updates situations. Add wildcard entry: *.microsoft.com
    Try resetting your IE settings to default

10. layman

layman Registered Member

Well, the reset to default finally did the trick. I am puzzled. Since we primarily use Opera, the IE settings have had no change since forever, and I cannot readily spot any difference between the settings on the NOD32 machines and the AntiVir Premium machine.

Thanks all for your help!

11. siljaline

You are most welcome for the help.

IE settings can be changed by program requirements and other variables that sometimes cannot be controlled, necessarily and remain transparent.

IE is used to fetch Windows Updates, so, one would assume, with a fair amount of certaintly that the Zone Reset was your issue.

Don't forget to add to wildcard entry for MS, *.microsoft.com to your Trusted Sites Zone if not done as of yet. Post back if we can assist you further in any way.

Regards,

12. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Interesting? I recently won a NOD subcription here and since my more newer machines have security, I have placed it on a very old Compaq XP box not listed in my sig. it run about two or three times a week for several hours.

This morning it told me I had missing MS updates and listed them and in a click it took me to the website where I manually updated the critical one. Windows updating is turned on to full automatic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.