Microsoft to Release Windows Blue, the First Free Windows Ever – Rumors

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by PoetWarrior, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moontan

moontan Registered Member

right you are.

i see it also as some kind of pre-emptive strike on Linux.
    Steam should be available on Linux relatively soon.

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I think people will want to get this if it's free.

Microsoft's new direction is nonsensical, but it's not as bad many people think. The Metro interface is really only suited for touchscreen devices, but you don't have to use it.

3. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

One thing that boggles my mind about this, is the fact that if it is basically "8" and W7 folks can get it for free, man is that going to tick the thousands of people off that have purchased "8" even though Blue is free for them too.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'd guess that if it's free, it might be stripped down a bit, with some desirable features removed, or just simplified somewhat....

5. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Could very well be. The perfect scenario would be the W8 performance enhancements but not the glitz! Of course the things I use a PC for aren't so intense that I'd ever notice any difference from how W7 functions for me now.

6. encus

encus Registered Member

So what's the point of releasing Windows 8 a couple months ago? :rolleyes:

7. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

To pave the way, probably.

8. roger_m

It won't be stripped down. This is the successor to Windows 8, so it is a full OS.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't think so.... I can't imagine MS offering their next full OS to the public for free... for one thing, that would completely undermine Win 8 sales to date and irritate people.. And MS is in business to make money, so they will never offer a full blown product for free or near free... Free software of any kind is almost always less full featured and limited in some way...

Edit: Unless they offer the initial release for free and then make their money off the successive annual updates and maybe the app store, etc...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  10. roger_m

Well they offer Windows 8 for only $40 at the moment. Form what I have read, Windows Blue will be the successor to Windows 8. Also, MS are planning to release OS upgrades yearly
    Which would be a good reason to provide the OS a lot cheaper since potentially customers are going to paying yearly for an updated OS, rather than every few years.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, the annual updates combined with possible app store sales is the only reason I can see why they'd offer it for free, or near free at first.... Offer it for nothing, to get everyone hooked, and then generate revenue from subsequent annual upgrades and so on...

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Come on bring back the start menu! :D

13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

As I said in my earlier post. I do not believe from what I've read that this is a bare metal cabable OS. In other words it's mandatory to have a windows OS already installed to upgrade or load over. No windows OS installed - Blue no worky.

Am I wrong & source please.

14. jna99

jna99 Registered Member

Don't know about Blue no worky if you want a clean install (no previous os). but I'm going to hell anyway, according to your last sentence in your sig :p

15. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks. I offer you special dispensation because you made me laugh. :argh:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  16. encus

encus Registered Member

Maybe the reason it will be free is because Microsoft can not handle the piracy of their Windows product anymore and also to gain wider market.

17. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Microsoft has its own ad network and exchange. It gets revenue by collecting information about consumers and serving them targeted advertising via WinRT in-app advertising, various Microsoft cloud services, etc. One POV would be that changes to the OS which increase consumer exposure to, and Microsoft revenue/profit from, such advertising *should* decrease the purchase price of the OS and possibly even drive it to zero. Information about a consumer and their habits has financial value. The opportunity to show a consumer advertising and the time they spend looking at ads has financial value. Consumers are also paying for part of the infrastructure being used by Microsoft to collect that information and deliver those targeted ads. So even in the $0 OS scenario there would still be an exchange of financial value in *both* directions. Plus, newer platforms will drive consumers towards app sales via Microsoft's store. Which charges developers fees, takes a cut of purchases, bolsters collected information, and in general would presumably create its own new/additional profit. I don't know how you weigh all that, but it is something to considered along with whatever purchase price is attached to this Blue thing.

18. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Now it makes more sense for them to make a "free" OS. Consumer exposure itself isn't really needed with their near-monopoly, but if you include advertising revenue, then it's very attractive.

19. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

I can imagine a free Windows Metro/Modern/9/Blue like Vista Starter Edition x86 with a 'max 3 apps open' limitation.
    Any higher versions they still can ask $$ for, either x64 or more extensive options.
    An online WinOS service like Suse Studio would be nice, a place where users can build their own WinOS ISO, tailored to their needs and priced accordingly, either for their PC, notebook or tablet.

20. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I think it will be a full featured Windows and it'll be a "loss leader" - Microsoft gives it away to make a killing where the real money is - hardware and "in the cloud" services.

Microsoft gets loyal customers and still make a huge profit on other things people will want to buy from the company for the complete "Microsoft experience."

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If it's free and just as good as 8, where does that leave all the users who bought 8? Aren't they going to be a bit peeved? :)

22. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I'll be intrigued by the economics sense behind this decision if it ever comes true. Not to mention how things will work out, both in the short run and long run. Regardless of whether MS can make the model work, I'm predicting that some analysts will be interested in doing the calculations and possibly make 'before and after' comparisons...

23. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

All this unfounded speculation is just nonsense.

24. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Too right squire. ;)

25. er34

er34 Guest

:thumb: I agree !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.